Mic for spoken word

microchip

Hi there...

I am trying to decide which mic to purchase. Here are my circumstances.

I want to record spoken word (poems actually) and the words will then be added into a piece of music I am recording on a multitrack system.

I am recording at home and so the sound conditions are not that great as far as a noise-free environment is concerned. I would like to spend $400 or less, but I could splurge a little.

Suggestions?

Two dynamic mics in that price range would be the Shure SM-7 or the EV RE-20.

Some large condenser mics in that price range would be the Marshall MXL-V67G, the Marshall MXL-V77, or any of the Studio Project mics.

All of these should give good results on spoken word, although placement and good mic technique are still a big factor.

As FenderTL5 rightly guessed, I did indeed mean the Shure SM-7, and not the Shure SM-57. The SM-7 is a great all-around microphone for voiceovers and hard rock vocals.

What about the Sennheiser MD421?

Maybe someone else can come in on this one, but I've read that the Sennheiser MD 421 (often used on toms) is a good mic for speech. I've borrowed one recently and though I haven't used it for speech it has an 'S' setting which is specifically for this purpose.

Secondhand EV RE20?

It can be used for a wide range of specific recordings next to the whole spoken word thing. Like recording a exploding balloon, or recording the sound of cutting a wire (just don't cut the wire of the RE-20 itself because you will only record the first 2 msec of the action)

Back