Which mic should I get?

GamingDay

I would like to purchase a microphone that I'll be using for youtube and for gaming. I don't wanna spend too much so maybe you can tell me what option is the best. I already have a pop filter and a mic stand. I have looked at these three options but if you think you have a better one you can recommend it to me. The three options are Audio Technica AT2020 (€88) Rode NT1-A (€145) and the Rode NT1 (€204). The amp I'll probably buy is the Behringer U-Phoria UMC22 (€35). I think it's good enough for what I'll be using it for. So, should I just get the AT2020 or is the €57 upgrade to the NT1-A worth it more?

I'd start at the cheap end, then add to your mic collection if the first one starts to annoy you. You could probably even go quite a bit less than the AT as a first mic, then when you know what it does that you don't quite like, you buy a very different sounding one. Most condensers sounds d sort of similar. I have yet to find a truly awful one. So much depends on how they work with your voice. Maybe even 2nd hand for a first buy to test the water? I have a couple of ancient Samson C01's and they still get use - and they were pretty cheap.

Mics are both the same and subtly different. On some sources, two mics might be nearly indistinguishable, but on another you could hear a noticeable difference.

If all you do is record, then just about any mic will do because it's just a learning process on how to tweak things in the mix to get the sound you want.

If your usage will be live, then that's slightly different because you'll likely be going "on the air" with no effects, especially with a simple audio interface. You might get some software or use your DAW to apply FX, but there's always a chance of some latency, though if you have and use direct monitoring (UMC22 has this), you won't hear it, and the listeners may not notice. BUT, this is where the mic choice usually gets to be more personal, because it's nice to have a mic (and preamp/etc. if you go there) that really makes your voice sound as natural or good as possible, without needing a lot of tweaks. Plus it's a lot easier/simpler to just flip the switch and start talking. Unfortunately, there's simply no way to know which mic is going to be your favorite until you've tried a few. Starting with an inexpensive condenser is going to be the easy way to go, so I'd listen to all the demos you can, with an ear for someone speaking that has a voice similar to yours, and then read reviews, buy one and get started.

I'd start at the cheap end, then add to your mic collection if the first one starts to annoy you. You could probably even go quite a bit less than the AT as a first mic, then when you know what it does that you don't quite like, you buy a very different sounding one. Most condensers sounds d sort of similar. I have yet to find a truly awful one. So much depends on how they work with your voice. Maybe even 2nd hand for a first buy to test the water? I have a couple of ancient Samson C01's and they still get use - and they were pretty cheap.

I have already tried the BM-800 condenser microphone. It doesn't sound terrible, it just gets the job done of talking to my teammates in games. But on the YouTube side I would like something more professional. Would the AT2020 do the job just fine? Or is it worth it to pay the extra 50 euros for better sound quality?

You can hear the differences yourself.

http://https://www.sweetwater.com/feature/vocal-mic-shootout/

Unless you have some insane ears on your head, you’re not going to notice any great difference between the two, ESPECIALLY for the purposes of your videos.

Please don’t waste your money on the more expensive option. You may even want to consider a cheaper mic like the Behringer or a cheap MXL.

The BM-800 doesn’t sound good because it’s both a microphone AND an A/D converter all in one package for $35. Having a dedicated converter and a dedicated analog mic (even if the mic is only $50) will tremendously improve the sound.

The BM-800 doesn’t sound good because it’s both a microphone AND an A/D converter all in one package for $35. Having a dedicated converter and a dedicated analog mic (even if the mic is only $50) will tremendously improve the sound.

BM-800 is an 'analog' electret based mic that does some tricks to enable either an XLR connection with 48v phantom or via 1/8" (3.5mm) with 'plug in power' from a PC. Have not seen a USB version of this mic, but perhaps there is one I'm not aware of.

Have a chuckle reading about it being a 'dynamic' mic :)...
Amazon.com: Excelvan BM-800 Condenser Microphone Sound Recording Dynamic + Mic Shock Mount, Ideal for Radio Broadcasting, Voice-Over and Recording Studio: Musical Instruments

There isn't an AT2020 on that website but you're basically saying I don't need anything better right? If I don't like it I'll send it back anyway.

Being honest about mics means accepting that more expensive doesn't automatically mean better. It often means better for some things. Many mics like certain. sound sources and hate others. I have a 2020 sitting in the studio at the moment. It's fine, but is very bright and clean. If that's what you need - great. However, turning up the eq on the top end can make a dull mic brighter and taking the eq down can make it more mellow! We all have our favourites. Often our favourite is only our favourite until we come across another you like better.

In my reply I said

If you had a more expensive microphone and a more professional microphone for your youtube vids what will you gain?

More professional mics like the ones listed are for studios. In an open room with no sound treatment they will sound terrible.

Unless you have a treated room that is?

Whereas a headset or lapel mic is designed for untreated spaces and designed to capture the voice and hopefully not the room and whatever is going on around you.

If you had a more expensive microphone and a more professional microphone for your youtube vids what will you gain?

More professional mics like the ones listed are for studios. In an open room with no sound treatment they will sound terrible.

Unless you have a treated room that is?

Whereas a headset or lapel mic is designed for untreated spaces and designed to capture the voice and hopefully not the room and whatever is going on around you.

For better quality?? Anything can be done in post production.

For better quality?? Anything can be done in post production.

No it cant otherwise everybody would buy the cheapest mic and not spend multiple thousands on the likes of a Neumann U87 and all other mics costing more than £$50.00. Also nobody would bother with studios and the multi million sound treatment businesses would all be bankrupt.

Hope you are happy with your purchase.

Last edited:
The Rode NTA1 is a nice budget option

Some say the NT-1 (no "A") is smoother? And yes, the BM-800 is a conventional electret mic that can be powered either from the 3.5mm jack of a laptop or via XLR and a phantom power. I have had two (I posted some waffle a while ago?) and, as has been said, not terrible and for the money good enough for YT work and more flexible than a USB microphone.

Dave.

A mic hears everything in its polar pattern. Some mics are limited in their frequency response while others sound bright or dull. The real decider is if the mic is sensitive to certain things and those certain things are positive or negative features. A bright mic in a bright room with an instrument that is naturally bright is a problem. I have a 2020 and it’s bright. You will like it or you won’t!

BM-800 is an 'analog' electret based mic that does some tricks to enable either an XLR connection with 48v phantom or via 1/8" (3.5mm) with 'plug in power' from a PC. Have not seen a USB version of this mic, but perhaps there is one I'm not aware of.

Have a chuckle reading about it being a 'dynamic' mic :)...
Amazon.com: Excelvan BM-800 Condenser Microphone Sound Recording Dynamic + Mic Shock Mount, Ideal for Radio Broadcasting, Voice-Over and Recording Studio: Musical Instruments

Ah, I see it now. I saw a usb cable and assume it connected directly to the mic. Turns out that’s just a crap sound card that comes with the kit lol. It was a different brand than Excelvan, though.

Check out these mics one should work for you

Behringer C-1U

Samson C01U Pro

Samson C03U

MXL USB 006

Just a warning Samson microphones are a little on the heavy side I have one I wish it was 4 or 5 ounces lighter.

Back