Mic setup help/suggestions?

Smac3223

I've got a few questions about setting up a mic.

As I'm sure you guys have seen lots of people ask questions about it, this is about my AT2020 USB mic. Works great and sounds amazing but I do have some issues that I was looking for help with. Mainly background noise and vibrations.

Now I'm assuming there's better mics out there for what I'm going to be using it for but to note...I got this mic for $25. An offer I simply could NOT pass up. All thanks to a friend at guitar center who told me about it. (Not a sale, the back of the box was completely faded and a little scratched)
But anyway, mostly I'm going to be using this mic for skype, steam voice chat and just games in general. The only problem though is because I got JUST the mic...it's simply sitting on my desk.

As most of you guessed this makes the sound of me typing amplified to sound like a stampede of some sorts. Clicks are annoying as well. That being said I was wondering what --if anything could be recommended to cancel out these vibrations and hopefully block the noise of me typing/clicking. (My keyboard is very quiet but this mic pics up everything. Even me moving in my chair)

Attached is a picture of my setup. Between the monitors you'll see the mic where I have it currently. I'm looking for some sort of stand I suppose but something that'll look good and clean.
Suggestions? Ideas?

DSC00174.gif

A nice desktop mic stand and a shockmount will eliminate the typing noises and other vibrations. As for the other stuff like chair noise and such, you are somewhat stuck with it. If the noise is something besides the chair, you could possibly reduce it by hanging a thick blanket behind you but they tend to get in the way.

Since it's a at2020, you should be able to use just a run-of-the-mill generic shockmount. I got one from musicians friend a few years back for my XML v67g and it fit nice. They run like 15 or 20 bucks, I believe. As for the stand, there are a lot of options.

@ guitaristic
Hm...figured the chair stuff would remain. Ah well. I'll try and use a throw blanket and see if that helps at all.
As far as the shockmounts go I saw one on amazon that apparently was decent according to reviews.

Stands though...I'm at a loss. As you can see in the picture putting a stand that's too tall will block the monitors and I won't be able to see. Putting one down near the phone (bottom right) could work but would look a little odd I think, lol.

- - -

@ arcaxis

Not sure what you mean by the heart (cardioid) shape, but I'm limited on where I can place the mic. If I stand it up as intended then it blocks the monitors from view, lol. The side that says, "Back" though is pointed down. So the "Front" of the mic is facing upwards towards the ceiling. Also not sure if I noted but this is the USB version. Not sure if that matters at all

- - -

I suppose my issue now is to find a stand or mount of some sort that'll look decent with my computer setup.
I know there's desk mounted ones that clip onto the desk via a vice or something but not sure where I'd place that without it blocking the monitors.

Anyone who's familiar with mic stands/mounts be able to recommend a type of one or a good placement for one? =p

You probably have the gain of your interface/preamp pushed up to compensate for the mic not pointing towards you and this results in the mic picking up more than you want.

Uhh..what? lol. I haven't really modified any settings at all. Like I said I got this mic for cheap. I don't really know much about settings or anything. So not sure what you mean by interface/preamp. I literally just opened it, fed the wire behind my desk, and plugged it into the USB port. Sounds good right off the bat but again typing and clicking is insanely loud. I'll get a shock mount for that but I still also need to find a good stand to work with my setup.

However if there's any advice you can give/explain I'd love to hear it, lol (Honestly don't know squat about this stuff)

@Arcaxis
Thanks for the advice, lol. I'll keep that in mind if/when I ever find a good mount/stand for the mic.

- - -

That being said...anyone have any idea of what sort of mount I should use?
Desk clamp? Wall mounted? Ground standing? Desk standing?

@ guitaristic
Hm...figured the chair stuff would remain. Ah well. I'll try and use a throw blanket and see if that helps at all.
As far as the shockmounts go I saw one on amazon that apparently was decent according to reviews.

Stands though...I'm at a loss. As you can see in the picture putting a stand that's too tall will block the monitors and I won't be able to see. Putting one down near the phone (bottom right) could work but would look a little odd I think, lol.

Did you miss the stand I recommended in post #3? It's adjustable from 4"-6" tall so I think that it'd be a good fit for you.

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Here's an example picture of what Arcaxis is talking about when he says side address microphone and how you talk into it.

Copy this link to explorer address bar

https://media.photobucket.com/user/...io E - Extravaganza/P1010019.jpg.html?filters[term]=studio%20mic&filters[primary]=images&sort=1&o=83

All the suggestions so far are good and should help you isolate mechanical noise from your microphone.
The shock mount will help and also moving the mic up onto the shelf above the desk may help.
(Mechanical noise is like mouse clicking etc)
I would also mess with the mics gain settings in the software for optimum set up.
My personal preference would be to use a boom floor mic stand besides the desk and hang the mic between the monitors for even more mechanical noise separation.
Google up mic pick up patterns and do a little homework too.
I hope this help.

As has been said, your mic is actually pointing at the keyboard, not at your voice. Standing it up (or above you pointing down) will reduce keyboard pickup and maximise your voice.

The desk stand recommended might work but I'd also consider a floor stand with a boom arm. This could either be a short one so the boom crosses below the monitors and just the mic sticks up in the middle...or a taller one so the boom is above the monitors and the mic hangs down in the middle. I'd probably recommend option 2 which is how a lot of radio and voice studios work.

Get away from that wall and for sure GET OUT of that corner.

LOL! For a bit of Skype chat? He'll be fine. :p

OP. Small desktop stands are available.
You'll need a clip or shock mount to go with it. Google at 2020 shock mount. You'll see the kind of thing.

If the mic's side address it doesn't necessarily need to be bolt-upright in the way of your screens.
You could mount the mic sideways so the end points at your wall, then roll it until the front points at your face.

That should keep the overall height down a bit.

IF there's any mixer software with that mic, you might find a high pass/low cut filter is enough to take away from the desk thumping noise, then you could leave the mic where it is.

Although it'd be super-funny if he's all sky ping his Ma and she's like, WTF are you doing calling me from a corner?
Have you no understanding of acoustic environments?
Sort your life out!

I hope that happens. :)

Did you miss the stand I recommended in post #3? It's adjustable from 4"-6" tall so I think that it'd be a good fit for you.

It'd still be sitting on the desk though. Both obstructing my monitors if placed on the actual desk above the keyboard tray and would it not still pick up the thunderous typing noise? Or would a shock mount take care of that?

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Here's an example picture of what Arcaxis is talking about when he says side address microphone and how you talk into it.

Copy this link to explorer address bar

"Link"

All the suggestions so far are good and should help you isolate mechanical noise from your microphone.
The shock mount will help and also moving the mic up onto the shelf above the desk may help.
(Mechanical noise is like mouse clicking etc)
I would also mess with the mics gain settings in the software for optimum set up.
My personal preference would be to use a boom floor mic stand besides the desk and hang the mic between the monitors for even more mechanical noise separation.
Google up mic pick up patterns and do a little homework too.
I hope this help.

I don't have much room here to work with unfortunately.
My room is 8x9. Next to my chair is about 1.5-2 feet of space then my bed is right there.
Next to my desk is my computer. Pretty much a big black box that you can kinda see to the right of the picture.
A floor mic though could work but that would also mean separating my monitors. While it'd work well I believe I feel like I'd have a hard time moving it out of the way when not in use, lol
...that and my webcam is right there between my two monitors, lol. Would block that

As has been said, your mic is actually pointing at the keyboard, not at your voice. Standing it up (or above you pointing down) will reduce keyboard pickup and maximise your voice.

The desk stand recommended might work but I'd also consider a floor stand with a boom arm. This could either be a short one so the boom crosses below the monitors and just the mic sticks up in the middle...or a taller one so the boom is above the monitors and the mic hangs down in the middle. I'd probably recommend option 2 which is how a lot of radio and voice studios work.

Read above my response to Kip =p
Unless I literally get a floor stand and sit it in the middle of my room I don't have much space to put one.

Get away from that wall and for sure GET OUT of that corner.

Below you'll see a layout of the room I'm working with. I really don't have any other option

LOL! For a bit of Skype chat? He'll be fine. :p

OP. "Link"
You'll need a clip or shock mount to go with it. Google at 2020 shock mount. You'll see the kind of thing.

If the mic's side address it doesn't necessarily need to be bolt-upright in the way of your screens.
You could mount the mic sideways so the end points at your wall, then roll it until the front points at your face.

IF there's any mixer software with that mic, you might find a high pass/low cut filter is enough to take away from the desk thumping noise, then you could leave the mic where it is.

No software came with the mic. Just plug and use. Typing and clicking is thunderous though and reviews stress the point over and over NOT to use the stand provided as it picks up everything.

Although it'd be super-funny if he's all sky ping his Ma and she's like, WTF are you doing calling me from a corner?
Have you no understanding of acoustic environments?
Sort your life out!

I hope that happens. :)

My mum is..."technologically challenged". She has less of an idea than I do about this stuff, lol

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

16bk7lc.jpg

Attached is a layout of my room. As you'll see it's fairly small and I do NOT have a lot of room to work with.
The measurements are accurate for the most part. Perhaps an inch or three in certain spots but yeah...that's what I'm dealing with.
I suppose I could possibly get acoustic paneling to use around the room once I get this all taken care of.
At the moment however, I have a friend who's willing to sell me a RODE PSA1 arm, a Nady shock mount, and a Auphonix pop filter all for $80. He's moving and says it's more than a bargain but I'd have to drive to go get it. I figure I could just clamp it onto my desk, install the shockmount and pop filter and such and see how that works. Recommended? Or no?

Last edited:
It'd still be sitting on the desk though. Both obstructing my monitors if placed on the actual desk above the keyboard tray and would it not still pick up the thunderous typing noise? Or would a shock mount take care of that?

Well then get a boom stand. Lol honestly this isn't hard. You are getting plenty of great suggestions in this thread.

OP. Small desktop stands are available.

Looks like there's room for that. Shock mount will isolate mic from vibrations through table.

Well, put it this way. When recording drums I can generally get a bunch of floor stands shoe-horned in amongst the various snares, hi-hats and toms sitting on the floor. The legs (generally 3) or weighted botton can almost always find somewhere to go--then all you have is a very small pipe extending upwards. 'Tis up to you but I've yet to find a space I couldn't wedge the base of a floor stand into somehow.

Logitech makes a gaming headset for $29.99, and it would be MUCH better suited to your needs than a cardioid condensor microphone.

If you're stuck with this mic though, try using the "push to talk" feature in your voice comms software. Not sure if Skype has this feature, but RaidCall does. I map it to the middle mouse button and just press that when I need to say something. The rest of the time, the mic is muted so keystrokes and ambient noises don't get transmitted over voice comms.

Back