Mic question

William Choi

Im going to buy a condenser mic for the first time and am wondering if most or all come with their own cord. I believe they use phantom power so what do you think a 15 foot long phantom power cord will run me in US or CAnadian $?

Im also wondering if these Mics are the best for micing guitar amps. Should I stick to my dynamic SM58 mic with the top off for micing my amp? Or would the condenser be great for everything I do?

There's no special cable for phantom power. It's just a standard XLR mic cable. But to provide phantom power to the mic, you need a phantom power supply.

As far as miking a guitar amp, I think in a lot of cases, people are going to be more happy with a dynamic rather than a condenser if only one mic is used. Condensers can be rather harsh for guitar amps.

Harsh? what kind of condenser are you using? Im getting nothing but great results with mine, also I use it alone sometimes and with the sm57 sometimes, nothing sounds harsh to me, but hey thats just me.....Peace.

Obviously, it depends mainly on the amp, the guitar, and the style of music. Oh, I have many condensers to choose from. 1 Shure Beta 87, 2 AKGC1000s (older versions), 1 AKG B/ULS, a matched-pair of Oktava MC012s w/3 matched-pair caps, a matched-pair of Neumann TLM-103s, 1 RTT VM100. What do you use?

Damm! you got a lot of mic's R.E. but I already knew that from reading your posts. I wasn't trying to blow you out of the water, was just trying to turn William toward the condenser, because yes I would think it woudld be great for everthing he does, as for as recording goes.What do I use? I have only one condenser AT 40/50,two 58's & 57, nothing much compared to you. Peace bro

Great replys folks. But do they usually come with the xlr cable? My Sm58 did but I seen a condenser mic come in a fancy box that didn't have it in there.
Either way if it doesn't, I could still use my SM58's but I would be assured if it came with one.

Just a thought, does anyone know of a site that compares a dynamic mics sounds with a condensers using sound samples?
Im sure there is a signifcant difference but very hard to tell sometimes. Using vocals and amps and acoustic guitars as samples.

Can somebody list for me a bunch of nice condensers that are the cost of 2 SM58.
Are there any?
I heard AKG C3000 are pretty decently priced around that area.
and also list the brand so I can look up the site.

Thanks

I may be wrong on this but I'm 99.99% sure they dont. mine didn't anyway. as for as a site that has samples of both dynamic & condenser mics I haven't seen any, but if your going to do any serious recording, your going to need the condenser mic, you can take that one to the bank....happy recording!

David:
the 4050 is a nice condenser. When they first came out, years ago, I almost bought a matched-pair of them. I ended up buying a Mackie SR24-4 instead (don't have it anymore though).

4050s and 103s both, can sound rather harsh on both electric guitar cabs and on vocals; though they sound really nice on mellow sounds.

You're right, a condenser will improve his vocal or acoustic guitar tracks, and possibly his electric guitar rather significantly.

Just a thought: If I do use a condenser, will I still get great results even though Im not using an isolation booth for vocals?
I got a pretty quiet room that I always use when recording vocals before. Will the mic still shine? or will it bring up unwanted details.

On the origional topic...
I have been lucky and had the ability to work with many mics recently but in my home studio i still mainly use a 57 on electric guitar, partly because it is a classic sound that many people have used and gotten familiar with and also because my home budget is quite low. With other mics you may be able to get a better sound but with a 57 you can almost always get a good sound.

Most condednsers will not come with a cable, and I'm not aware that there is such a thing as a phantom powered cable.

Purchase a small phantom power unit that plugs into the wall - Audio technica makes one for about $30 (?).

Be aware that you will need TWO cables to use it - one goes in the front, power is applied and the other comes out the back and then to your board.

I wouldn't use a condenser on an electric guitar unless the guitar amp is using a pretty clean sound, in that case fine.
But if the guitar is using a distortion sound, a condenser will sound VERY harsh.
Stick with the 58 or a 57.

Before you run off and buy a phantom power supply, make sure that your mixer or recorder don't have a built-in one. Many mixers do! Also, a good mic cable will run $15-30 for @ 15', U.S. More if you go with oxygen-free copper wire and gold-plated XLR connectors. By the way (just incase it has to be said), you will need XLR connectors on both ends (male and female) to use phantom power. I know you can't get phantom power through a TS 1/4" jack, though I am not positve about a 1/4" TRS plug.

Peace, Jim

Can't the preamp ART TUBE MP output with a 1/4" plug while having an input from a XLR(M/F)condensor mic w/ Phantom power on?
I must be right,right?

yes, the ART will accept and send both XLR and 1/4" and has a phantom power supply. for 100 bucks it's the bomb.

Back