Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mic & Pre combo for under 2k

Thanks

Mic & Pre combo for under 2k

Sign in to disable this ad
    Hello, my band and I are looking to purchase a mic and pre combo for a record we are working on now. We are making the purchase mainly for vocals, but may use some of it on guitars and piano. Right now I am mainly using a SP C1 into Soundcraft M12 pres (or sometimes blue tube) into a Digi001. The m12 pres sound crappy on guitars, but more importantly, the combo of c1 and m12 isn't so hot on vocals. I also have an Nt1 and some dynamics. We are looking to spend under $2000 for the two items. The singer has a thick and powerful voice, broadwayish. We are looking for a clear and fat pop sound. What would you recommend? We have been looking at Avalon pres (737 and M5) and nuemann mics (tlm103, u87) because we have used them in the past and were pretty happy with them, but we won't be able to get exactly what we want because of budget constraints. What do you guys recommend?

Scott

Thanks
    toft atc-2 and a shure ksm44
    In His Name
    Big Kenny

Thanks
    John Hardy or Great River preamp
    Soundulex U-195 or AT4060 mic.
    This is just a test

Thanks
    As someone who has done much goofing around lately to find a vocal set-up and acoustic guitar set-up (with less money to use on mic's and pre's), my humble advice is to get a new pre first and see how your mic's sound. Different pre's give mic's a whole new character, who knows, you may really like one of your current mic's with a new pre.

That's what ended up happening to me (I like my sm58 more than my condensers through a Tampa pre for vocals).

smtcharlie
    you probably just read an amateur opinion

home studio - ADAT, Tampa, Blue Tube, GT AM61, Octava MC012, SM57, 58, AKG C1000

small time charlie . com
    acoustic alternative music

Thanks
    For a thick powerful voice you don't need - or often even want - a mic with much color. I'd suggest an AKG 414 for the mic and an API preamp. On the pre you could do a BAE 312A single channel for $899 http://www.brentaverill.com/312a/

414's around $700 or so. I'd run an FMR RNC $170ish compressor after the pre before your DAW.

Will give you a nice, full, defined and tight sound that will cut through a mix without too much effort.

My 2.
    Dan Richards
    Pro Studio Reviews

Thanks
    if i were you i would go with a great river mp1nv and than upgrade to a nice converter like the mytek stereo 96 adc. the converter would be a far better move than a mic imho. upgrading your converter will make everything you record sound better. but if it is a mic that you want than i would go with the soundelux u-195.

Thanks
    Big Kenny & Middleman.. Any reasoning behind those suggestions?

How do other people feel about putting money into a channel or two of a/d conversion instead?

How do people like the 737 or know how it compares to the M5?

Scott

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Middleman
    John Hardy or Great River preamp
    Soundulex U-195 or AT4060 mic.
    I'm with Middleman on this one. Big Kenny also makes a nice suggestion with the KSM-44.

Thanks
    The Great River NP1 and a KSM44 is a great combo....The Soundelux U195 will sound great through anything...the suggestion of higher value converters is a timeless one...It WILL make a huge difference.....With the prospect of recording a male voice thats large and full of harmonics(ala Broadway)..I'm gonna want a fairly neutral mic with a lot of detail and the ability to handle spl's and a preamp with character if you drive it...I would avoid the TLM103 as its a bit toppy and would prefer the TLM127 in this application.The U87 in this application would have to be used with a darker and more colored pre...API512 comes to mind...
    Chord with this, Teddy......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scottr
    Big Kenny & Middleman.. Any reasoning behind those suggestions?

How do other people feel about putting money into a channel or two of a/d conversion instead?

How do people like the 737 or know how it compares to the M5?

Scott
    You stated pop music so I went with two very detailed but larger than life preamps. For a clean sound I would opt for the John Hardy for a little color the GR.

As for the mics the Soundelux is detailed, clear, upfront and not too aggressive for a little richer color the AT4060 is a great tube mic. Both have a different part of the pop spectrum sound.

The 737, does not thrill me all that much but many like that sound. Regarding converters, its really the bottom line on your sound both captured and coming back at you in the speakers so I would always advise getting this right first if your into engineering for the masses, then monitors of course.

The Digis are fine and equate to about the MAudio 1010s. I imagine, since you have a band and want to get going that you are looking for the best sound and fast. So, unless you want to become engineers, I would opt for the preamps and mics for the most immediate bang for buck part of your sound. If you want to take some time and build a studio right then go for the converters then your monitors and headphone setups. When these are right then go for better preamps and mics. It all depends on what your ultimate goal is.
    Last edited by Middleman; 10-24-2004 at 15:57.
    This is just a test

Thread Information