Mic for my voice (female)

eme

Hi guys just been researching mics for female voices and haven't found any voices described like mine. I'd appreciate it heaps if you had a listen to my myspace site and let me know what mics you think would be appropriate.
I like to hit high notes..

I haven't a huge budget... maybe AU$200 - $400

www.myspace.com/emmaedwardsmusic

I might just mention that im in the process of setting up a little recording space so i can up the quality on what I have already on myspace.

thanks for your time and help

Emma

Shure sm7b is in that price range. superior for harsher vocals but still a great mic overall. (underpriced in my opinion)

I currently record on a Zoom H2 -just a digital one track. Then I lay all of the tracks down in Audacity. I usually put a beat down first (using the keyboard drums) then plug in my headphones and play back the beat while I record myself playing the keyboard or piano in time. then I do the same with the vocals. that set up has been my entry point into recording music for the last couple years. Now I want to upgrade the quality. baby steps...

Cheers for the advice - I'm reading lots of reviews, so far I'm leaning towards the AT4040... Many reviews on the Rode NT1A say that it doesn't handle high octaves very well (for Vocal) - not relaxed enough or something.

I'd think that the 4040 would almost always be a safe choice for female vocals. You might also consider auditioning a Røde K2 (and I'd probably suggest swapping in a better tube). I have no idea what those cost over there, but I figure they ought to be cheaper than they are here (about $700 US) since they're made there.

I wish we had a dry clip of your voice to listen to. I'm hearing some things in some of your songs that might be intentional effects or might be something in your room that you might want to fix, and I can't tell which. :)

Maybe some of the folks in your area of the world might have a 4040 or a K2 that you could try a few takes with to see how it works.

Shure sm7b is in that price range. superior for harsher vocals but still a great mic overall. (underpriced in my opinion)

SM7B's retail for much, much higher then $200 here in Australia, there actually hard to even find. the few places online that have them have them priced for over or around $1000. its really a shame, because the main aspect of this mic was the price, and from all the places ive looked we just dont seem to get that here in Aus.

my studio projects C3 can handle high notes fairly well, ive only recorded one girl for backup vocals before though. but im still blown away every time at what a C3 sounds like in a well treated room.

i would reccomend you a rode NT1a because there a great all around mic, and will do almost anything you need it to when used properly. keywords "when used properly"

dgatwood - I have been recording these on the most basic of recorders, in a room that is not treated (at all!) and often with the hiss of cicadas outside in the summer months and various cockatoos screeching past! not to mention the crazy storms we experience... and I never stop recording no matter what the conditions when I'm in the mood.

its not ideal in any sense of the word! But some effects I like and are probably sacrilegious to anyone with recording knowledge. I like to double my vocals - like 0.3 of a sec behind the original and I love my echo.. I experiment with wah wah effect and yeah.. i just like experimenting.

could you tell me what you mean and I'll know if either my intentional effects sound like shit or if its truly a fault with my environment.

Thanks!

I wouldnt let it stifle your creativity...but that environment doesnt sound ideal.

Did you look into the Shure KSM32...Im told sometimes its more pricey outside of the USA....you can get some great deals used...but I dont know if its the same in Oz.

The AT4040 is another option...AT3035 might suit your voice fine and you can get those cheap used right now. I paid $50 US for both of mine...Ill try to find you a clip.

You would be suprised of the piano recordings they have on youtube using that Zoom H2.
Heres an AT4040...she has videos of her with a Rode and they sound awful compared to the AT4040

Heres the AT3035 in action...she doesnt have music with it.

Last edited:
dgatwood - I have been recording these on the most basic of recorders, in a room that is not treated (at all!) and often with the hiss of cicadas outside in the summer months and various cockatoos screeching past! not to mention the crazy storms we experience... and I never stop recording no matter what the conditions when I'm in the mood.

its not ideal in any sense of the word! But some effects I like and are probably sacrilegious to anyone with recording knowledge. I like to double my vocals - like 0.3 of a sec behind the original and I love my echo.. I experiment with wah wah effect and yeah.. i just like experimenting.

could you tell me what you mean and I'll know if either my intentional effects sound like shit or if its truly a fault with my environment.

Thanks!

What I was hearing in one clip sounded like perhaps you were facing a wall and getting comb filtering from the reflection.

Back