Mic Mods:)

docmattic

hey everybody

Ive been planning on modding my v67 for a while and plan to replace the capsule with a peluso 367 capsule and a cinemag transformer (i dont know which oone to choose though)

But upon a search and reading some topics here i was wondering if it is worth doing the royer mod to the mic aswell? and how hard is the mod? My father is very good with a soldering iron skill wise.

so the question..is it possible to do both mods? is it worth it? is there a specific cinemag transformer to use? what type of results will the royer mod add to the 367 casule and cinemag transformer if its possible

thankyou

Last edited:
...I haven't got anything important to say, it's just my 1000th post!!!...:D

...but actually, I have 2 Royer modded mics and they sound very impressive (quite a bit of improvement over the stock V67)...but I'm not sure you want to stray too far from the original schematic without the some experience completing these type of modifications...the man who needs to chime in here is Philgood, our resident "mad scientist" who has successfully performed many such modifications...

...he'll check in sooner or later and you'll get a knowledgable response from him I'm sure...

..hey Phil!...you out there?...

I suggest that you buy a mic you like already and if possible do some minor mods to it, change out a cap for instance. Doing major surgery is not really worth the time or expense as you may not improve the existing mic all that much nor can you be sure what you'll get for results when all is said and done. I have done my fair share of mods and upgrades.

Bob

Wow! Did someone call my name? Sorry, I've been in the hospital and haven't been checking posts lately.

Yes, it is worth it to do the Mods. You can either use the Peluso 367 or the new PK47 if you are looking more for a U47 vibe from the mod. The transformer from Cinemag is the CMO-2480, which is around $42 and can be found at www.cinemag.biz. Talk to David Geren, although the last time I talked to him (about 3 weeks ago) he said they were out but would have a new run, which should be close to done by now. An alternative would be Lundahl or the Jensen recommended by Dave Royer. A Lundahl in combo with a 6205 tube and the PK47 would probably get you closest to the U47 vibe, whereas the 367 and Cinemag will sound more like a U67.

I hope your feeling better.

thanks. yes i have another post asking about mic choice https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=252605... u might know which mic could be better perhaps (it contains a voice sample) i never knew about the u47 type capsule so thank you:)
Thanks its nice to kno its a good mod:). But will i still use the 62065 tube for a u67 sound with a royer mod.. and i was wondering is special power required to run the royer mod, i think i recall reading somthing about that?

and (sorry to be a pain in the ass:P) are there any mesures you can take to protect a new capsule when soldering it in?

thanks heaps :)

Back