Mic for low vibration/bass-y noise

Ok, just done it. Attached is the 30Hz tone* repro'ed through my home hi fi (kept level modest but still annoyed wife!)

The analyser plot is interesting? You can easily see the 30Hz picked up by the very small speaker, 4" woofer but the third harmonic at 90Hz dominates. Whether that is my speakers distorting or the wee one acting as a microphone I cannot say, bit O both I would guess.

Still, the principle works and you can use a relatively small speaker to record very low frequencies.

The speaker BTW was plugged into my NI KA6 and the mic gain whacked to max.

Hope this helps.

* I tried to record a 20-100 sweep sine but that did not turn out well.

Dave.

Great recording, I’m going to try this and let you know how it goes. If it doesn’t work i might start crying

The real problem here is going to be curing it, not recording it. The trouble is that we're not really hearing low frequencies, we feel them through bone conduction, and we're talkingt vibrations, not sound.

With the shared concret foundations, the only cure is to isolate the device causing it, trying to treat it your side will be to a large extent futile.

It already sounds like it doesn't annoy them, and relations are not good. How deep are your pockets for legal action and how would legal action impact on the enjoyment of your property? It seems to me that unless you can get cooperation from them, you are stuck. In my location we have an industrial area a mile away, and at night when the wind comes from the south, I hear a low drone all night. My wife never notices, and few people on facebook find it a problem. I like to sleep with the window open and I can't. Nobody else locally notices it!

The real problem here is going to be curing it, not recording it. The trouble is that we're not really hearing low frequencies, we feel them through bone conduction, and we're talkingt vibrations, not sound.

With the shared concret foundations, the only cure is to isolate the device causing it, trying to treat it your side will be to a large extent futile.

It already sounds like it doesn't annoy them, and relations are not good. How deep are your pockets for legal action and how would legal action impact on the enjoyment of your property? It seems to me that unless you can get cooperation from them, you are stuck. In my location we have an industrial area a mile away, and at night when the wind comes from the south, I hear a low drone all night. My wife never notices, and few people on facebook find it a problem. I like to sleep with the window open and I can't. Nobody else locally notices it!

I hear you, it’s a real nightmare and I’ve been reading loads on the net too. I will be talking to them but honestly the way they have been avoiding me tells that they won’t play ball. I live in japan and a lot people don’t want a foreigner next to them. This is the 2nd time happening in my over 10 years here. Since I bit the bullet last time and walk away from it I would like to have more solid evidence to get me my money back(I moved to this house 2 months ago)

As you mention the worst thing is people not believing you so evidence is key here

I just bought a 2nd hand vibrometer to measure the vibration side as the audio recordings so far are not giving much result

Thing is I would love to know how they are doing it, out of interest

I’m back, was sorting out some stuff. I tried the speaker way with my small speaker I have (2 inch cone) and I think I got something for sure. Can someone check and if it has something I’ll invest is a big pair of cheap oldie speakers that are massive

You'll have to post the file so we can analyze it to see what's there. It might be good to include some specifics about how you set things up.

You'll have to post the file so we can analyze it to see what's there. It might be good to include some specifics about how you set things up.

Here we go
WeTransfer

You will hear, the white noise/hiss, then a kind of wind in tunnel noise under it (cant get rid of them from my recording)but listen beneath that, it is the vibration. its very low level but you feel it more then hear it at the start but middle-end its more prominent. also you will hear banging, thats the neighbour as well. toilet flush (me) and karl pilkington playing on my ipad in the background.

i just need verification its there, as i will invest in bigger speakers if this mode picks it up to improve the quality and level.

Basically I reverse wired a mic cable into a speaker as Dave kindly suggested, it went into my apollo x8 and was set at 44db for the preamp. recorded into ableton 10

This recording is at about 1am, outside is crazy quiet, no external noise interfering

Last edited:
The difficulty here isn't just recording the noise. It's getting someone else to hear it and appreciate the trouble it's causing you.
With issues of bassy droning noises a recording does you no real favours, unfortunately.

I had a very similar thing although, in my case, the source was very clear. It was an industrial heating system in a business which ran nightshifts.
I was able to note down specific (clearly programmed) times for on/off and notify the council. (obviously tried speaking to the company first)

Based on that they requested that the business run their heating system during more sociable hours, for an hour or so, so that measurements could be carried out.
It took a while to get things done but I haven't heard a peep from them since.
Work still goes on so I presume they either changed their heating system or relocated it.

Anyway my point is, if it all possible, it's going to be much better to be able to identify the source of the noise or have the appropriate authority hear it in person.
I don't know where in the world you are but over here the council did come out at 2-3am after the issue had been resolved, to take readings for confirmation.

its a neighbour who knows what they are doing and mainly does it all night. for example it was on all morning and day today until a pizza man rang my doorbell for a delivery and the vibration stopped. they are denying this but they are doing it as i have loads of timings and instances.

i need a recording to show the management company first so they will do something about it and also i rang the police, they said they need to hear it in my house first before calling into the neighbour but said if i have a recording of it and its stopped exactly when they arrive that will do

i also am buying a vibrometer to record it that way too.

im a foreigner in japan so i need everything to be sharp and precise, the law is not on our side over here-ever

i wish my situation was as clear as you one

I think you've captured the sound. I looked at it both in Rightmark and in Reaper and you have large peaks at about 25hz, 60 to 70Hz, and another at about 120Hz. I could boost the rumble very easily with EQ.

It didn't seem to be modulating like a bass instrument or drum. It sounds more like a rumble from an HVAC unit. It was pretty much continuous.

Hope this is helpful.

Attachments

• DFN   Sound Profile.png
    DFN Sound Profile.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 8
I think you've captured the sound. I looked at it both in Rightmark and in Reaper and you have large peaks at about 25hz, 60 to 70Hz, and another at about 120Hz. I could boost the rumble very easily with EQ.

It didn't seem to be modulating like a bass instrument or drum. It sounds more like a rumble from an HVAC unit. It was pretty much continuous.

Hope this is helpful.

Im nearly crying, its been a long time trying to capture something decent. I will buy way bigger speakers now to get it better. thank you for the analysis. i wont need to fork out a fortune for an Earthworks now

Hope this is helpful.

Ah now Mr T! Have you still got a Save icon in R'Mark analyser please? I know I am getting much older and dafter but I am SURE there was a 'floppy disc' icon at the bottom of a plot? Maybe I have buggered something..OR a W10 update has screwed it? Must check on a W7 lappy.

At the mo' you see I have to do a PrtSc.

Dave.

Dave,

That PNG file was from the save icon. Sometimes I would just do a screen capture and trim it down in Irfanview, but I was in a hurry, so I just hit the save button. No option except PNG. Usually I prefer JPG files.

Can you not see the PNG?

Plus in the file, there were a couple of larger sounds that I thought might have affected the results, so I threw it in Reaper, and cut out the first 25 seconds which had some movement and obvious footsteps. Then I analyzed the remaining portion for the rumble.

Last edited:
Hi Mr T, could you help me analyze mine too? I have a persisting bass noise problem from a neighbor two floors above me.
Recorded to my phone using my Sony WF-C500 wireless earphones, when I listened to the playback, the bass is very prominent.
No surrounding noise as it is a suburban apartment building and only captured the bass by placing my wireless earbud against the shared wall.

Is M4A file alright? I have no editing software to change the file type.

Last edited:
That is actually quite disturbing! To get an idea of the actual sound level you would need a 'c' weighted sound meter, there are several quite good ones for smart phones.
The noise seems centred on around 58Hz and is all the more annoying because it is pulsing. The lower peak at 100Hz is equipment ripple and shows you to be in 230 volt land.

What you can do about it I do not know. Nuisance noise needs to be referred to local enforcers...IF there are any!

Dave.

Attachments

• spectrum voice wav.png
    spectrum voice wav.png
    40.7 KB · Views: 5
That is actually quite disturbing! To get an idea of the actual sound level you would need a 'c' weighted sound meter, there are several quite good ones for smart phones.
The noise seems centred on around 58Hz and is all the more annoying because it is pulsing. The lower peak at 100Hz is equipment ripple and shows you to be in 230 volt land.

What you can do about it I do not know. Nuisance noise needs to be referred to local enforcers...IF there are any!

Dave.
Hi Dave,

Yeah, there are local enforcers, but they do not do anything even if it violates my local law if the neighbors just lower their volume and bass when the police ask them to.
I am asking for analysis of the clip or even future clips because if the Nuisance persists, might have to bring the case to court and need evidence that there is actual noise annoyance, etc.

Yes, the bass noise I have experienced when they do turn up their bass, is that very annoying pulsing heavy bass.

Any recommended affordable 'c' weighted sound meter?

Will post more M4A if there are any more horrendous pulsing bass from the Nuisance.

I have one of these: https://cpc.farnell.com/tenma/ten01...PING&s_kwcid=AL!5616!3!491098866161!!!network}!1079290639912!&gclid=CjwKCAjwyryUBhBSEiwAGN5OCOR8YyiLF47ygVTau2I8jgtdxer-NoiR6h8Y1RSRaVHtscvDiVd5lxoCw2AQAvD_BwE

But if you have a smart phone you can download an app. Set it to C weighting and then calibrate it when the room is dead silent, i.e. you can hear nothing. That will be about 25dBC. My phone agrees pretty well with the meter so calibrated.

But! Don't spend much at all on any kind of gear. If the complaint gets "legal" none of your measurements will count for ***t. Only those done by the professionals will be allowed as evidence. How it is here in England anyway.

Dave.

In England, you can potentially get it covered under the antisocial legislation, but we have a neighbour who drives his dog to a local place for a walk at 6am every day, then comes back at 6.30, then goes to work at 7! He has a number of cars - none have proper exhaust systems, and at 6am you can hear him all the way to the park, because it is quiet. The Police and environmental health have all looked into it, and in England, all cars need an MOT, and noise is one category - so the Police test the car and it passes, despite being mega loud. It's annoying and nasty sounding but within the limit. At 6am it wakes you up. In the traffic at 8.30am, it's just embarrassing, not stand out loud. The Police can't do anything - no laws broken. Nor can the Council with their noise meters. We just have to put up with it.

Demilios,

Here is the sound amplified, plus visual of the sound. I agree with Dave, the sound is around 50Hz, it sounds a lot like what I often hear from cars with the big subwoofers. You hear the boom... boom... boom sound hundreds of meters away.

Demilios pulsing bass.jpgDemilios sound.jpg

Attachments

• Demilios sound.mp3
    901 KB
Back