Mic experts help please: External Mic for Kodak Zi8 video camera / video blog.

ChuckOB

I know this isn't for musical recording, but I know there are microphone experts here that will help me out.

I'm going to use my Kodak Zi8 video for video posts to my blog. It will be spoken voice only, and if it matters, I'm a male with a baritone.

Where I'm coming from: For my computer/webcam posts I use a Samson CO1U condenser with USB, and I find that works good enough.

For my Kodak recording, it'll be in my video recording studio ;) , which is actually my weight/exercise room with good lighting, a large green screen, and my Kodak video camera about 5 feet away. I'll be able to mount my mic from above, probably about 2-3 feet away in front of my mouth and about 12 inches above. Room should be fairly quiet in ambient sense, but fairly sparsely furnished (no drapes or other fabrics that might help sound qualities).

From what I've gathered, I'll need to connect the mic via cable to phantom power, and from phantom power to video camera using cable & 1/8" adapter.

My questions:
Is there a better way to set up the audio/is there any other equipment I need?
Is condenser mic the best way to go?
I was considering the AT 2020, Studio Projects B1, MXL 990, MXL v67g, Apex 205, and Nady SCM800. Do you have any other suggestions in the <$100 -ish range?

Thanks for your suggestions and advice.

Last edited:
Have you considered just using the onboard mic, and recording your vocals straight into your daw, and exporting the audio to your video editor and lining it up? seems like the easiest option if your happy with your sound, all you really need is a cue (think the clapper thing you see when tv shows are being filmed) so when the noise is on the audio track *clack* it lines up with the frame with the closed clapper and then you've no sync issues

I use the AT 2022 stereo mic for videos: Amazon.com: Audio Technica AT2022 X/Y Stereo Microphone: Musical Instruments

It has built in phantom power and comes with an XLR to 1/8" stereo adapter. Works great straight into the Sony Vixia camera I use. If you only need one channel, I'm sure there are some relatively inexpensive mono mics with battery phantom power that would work. The problem with using a preamp in between the mic and camera is that they usually put out a line level signal, and most cameras want a mic level input.

I have about the same question, I'm also looking for a good mic for video.
For the last few days I've been researching it thoroughly.
My findings thus far:

1. Don't use a shotgun microphone [1]
2. For the best quality in our price range, use a lavalier.
3. If you don't want to use a lavalier, a hypercardoid microphone is your second best option.

You can't find a good hypercardoid microphone in our price range, well, at least I haven't found one.
The best option I found yet is a Rode NT3 mounted like you said, it's cardoid but it is good for indoor use.

Now I'm finding out if a Rode M3 is also sufficient, which is < $100.
Can anyone deny or confirm?
Actually, I came on this forum because I googled Rode NT3 vs M3, but the thread wasn't about recording talking.

One last finding: don't e-mail microphone stores, they tell you to use a shotgun microphone.

[1]
youtube.com/watch?v=ETX_nBG9zvU
youtube.com/watch?v=7zm51JFq5WI <- This guy also explains why not

Last edited:
Unless you get into crazy expensive pro cameras, the onboard sound in cameras is pretty poor.

Do it separate, replace it in the video editor. An old-movie-style clapper board or hand clap before you start gives you a point to line it all up....

Back