Mic Configuration for Stairway to Heaven gtr.

5thstream

I'm trying to figure out how to get the acoustic guitar sound that is on Stairway to Heaven. Any information would be helpful (i.e.: what kind of mic, what kind of guitar, where it was pointed, what kind of room, etc.)

Thanks, Sebastian

As a matter of fact, I actually attended those sessions! I was there, and ...

I believe it was either a condenser, a dynamic, or a ribbon of some sort.

And it was either pointed at the sound hole ... or maybe it was the 12th fret. Either close up or maybe a little ways back ... one of the two.

And I'm absolutely, most definitely certain that it was either mono or stereo. No doubt about that one.

Alright, now I remember. It was a Marshall mxl 603 using BLUE kiwi cable ... to an ART Tube MP, lightly driven, to a Roland VS-880 multitracker.

chessrock said:
Alright, now I remember. It was a Marshall mxl 603 using BLUE kiwi cable ... to an ART Tube MP, lightly driven, to a Roland VS-880 multitracker.

Yeah, that's right. I remember reading it in TapeOp. :rolleyes:

the whole album was recorded at Headly Grange in England. This was an old mansion that Zep spent their time at just to record the zoso album. Most reports indicate that the song was orignally recorded in front of a fireplace with the two sitting cross-legged in front of each other. The rooms there were obviously very unique given the high cathedral ceilings and such (just listen to the drum track on "When the levee Breaks". Page used eiter a gibson j-200 or a martin d28 to record the intro. as far as the mic used, you got me there.

Back