Mic comparison!

Kryogh

I was testing and comparing my mics on my guitar stack. I record a 20 sec. of distorted guit, no EQs, nothing. I uploaded it, so if you want, you can listen these mp3 and compare the mics.

I also took 2 pictures, to show how the mics were placed. So you can juge the situation by yourself.

Note that all the mics are almost aiming a speaker the same way.

Mp3s: (you must right click the link and download the files)

http://www.hzzone.com/cab_mics1.htm
http://www.hzzone.com/cab_mics2.htm

enjoy!

questions? comments? :)

cool test :D

i thought that the MXL1006 sounded a bit midrangey, but the C1 was pretty cool. I use a sm57 so i know how it sounds, it's kind of in between , no too much bass/mid but not too much treble either.

I'll probably say the c1 recording was the best, but thats cause its brighter and i kinda like that bright sound

to my ears (which are mnitoring on my headphones so take with a grain of salt) my vote would either be the C1 or the groovetubes (i like the groovetubes just a hair better)

sadfsadf

yeah, very cool. it's always interesting to see how different people like different sounds and different types of distortion. i love the really bassy sound, your guitar has that feel. but i usually crank the highs, and almost get rid of the mid. i use a metal zone mt-2 and play through a marshall MG100 half stack, so it gives a pretty badass sound. in your test, i liked the C1 too, gave a brighter sound. cool test!

i like the GT and the 57 the best. i liked the C1 the least.

but i bet the 1006 would have sounded pretty good if you backed it up a little bit.

i guess that is the problem with these tests, too many variables. all mics have preferred positions, and sound different in different directions to source, etc...

however, i think that your test is not entirely useless. after listening to my own mics and mics i have tried in studios, and a couple of these comparisons, over a couple different systems, i think one can make some sort of valid general opinions...

Back