Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Mic Comparison

Thanks

Mic Comparison

Sign in to disable this ad
    I finally got around to doing a mic comparison.
    There are 7 mics in the run.
    For the sake of consistency I ran them all through a Beringher MIC 100 preamp with the output all the way up & adjusted the input so that all mics registered approx the same level on a percussive sound. The pre does add noise.
    ALL mics were set on the same goose neck and aimed just below the soundhole of a no name acoustic and all at approx 12 cm distance.
    Against my personal preference I used a little, soft, flexible acoustic pick (I like a medium to heavy bass pick with fangs usually) as I figured it was more in keeping with the equipment others use.
    I tried to play at an even level & speed - same chord sequence all through so I'm sorry if it bores you.
    Each mic is announced on the file (funnily enough the tiny little PC mic - non usb - did a VERY good job of this considering I did the announcing later through a sound blaster mic in on my upstairs comp.)
    There's a bit of computer noise & the wife started using the clothes drier in the laundry a hall away part way through but it shouldn't have much impact.
    I'd be interested to know what stands up best. I haven't decided. I'll need time & distance before I can listen & compare for my own use.
    The streaming link is below but if you want a better qaulity listen you'd be best to use the link in my signature & download the MP3.

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=4278268&q=hi

The mics - not in order (remember they are announced) are aSony ECM 19B electret condensor, a Shure 57, a Primo DM-260 mini dynamic, a Le Grange DM 110(switched to lo then hi impedence), a Behringer XM8500 Dynamic & a tiny lipstick sized high impedeance dynamic no name.
    I couldn't get enough signal from my crystal Hi-Mike DM201 to record and I couldn't find an adaptor for the Realistic Dual Pattern 33-919A Stereo mic.
    Last edited by rayc; 08-05-2006 at 05:18.

Thanks
    BUMP - I know that these are, generally, cheap mics but I'm sure someone else in the forum has a limited budget.
    I really am interested in which has the better result for acoustic guitar.

Thanks
    [QUOTE=rayc]I finally got around to doing a mic comparison.
    There are 7 mics in the run.
    For the sake of consistency I ran them all through a Beringher MIC 100 preamp .........................

End of discussion.
    Go back to your reguarly scheduled life.
    [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]"Tascam, Fostex or Studers don't make hit records...........people do"[/COLOR]
    MCI2424 - 2007

Thanks
    the 57 but they all pretty much suck

Thanks
    Hi, RAYC!

I put your mp3 on soundforge and adjust the level of each mic.

I donīt choose a "better", but:

mics I like:

2)Behringer
    3)DM110 (lo imp).
    5)primo DM
    6)SM 57

57 yet sounds more "fat" to me, altough behringer has a similar sound (a little less bass frequencies,but the less noisier of all). DM 110 has a litlle more noise,but sounds ok.Primo DM sounds good too but lacks on lows.

Donīt like these:

1)First mic is unuseable for the extra noise (*but, hey, has the best sound of all to me !Take some info, maybe you are with a damadged mic, I dont know).
    4)Dm 110 on hi inpedance sounds bad (I only hear the mid frequencies)
    7)Last mic (donīt remenber what? But sounds similar with DM 110 hi, with a lot of mids,and without lows or higs.Donīt like it too.vERY BAD MIC.

Ciro
    Last edited by CIRO; 08-05-2006 at 18:09.

Thanks
    CIRO,
    Thanks mate - that's exactly what I was after. I agree about the 1st mic - normally I run it through a different preamp - & it's quieter but that pre doesn't agree with anything else so I went for something that worked for the majority. I'll have to find a better way. Thanks.
    recordingpro,
    Thankyou. I appreciate your response. The 57 is the one that appeals least to my ears though I know it gives a flatter response.
    MCI2424,
    "End of discussion. Go back to your reguarly scheduled life."
    Fortunately I have one to go to.
    Thanks at least for reading that far into my post. I'm sure it was difficult & I am oblidged to your for your strength, compassion & understandng whilst under duress. Interesting comments given:
    "...ALL mics have a use. It is up to you to find the use.
    Any one who books a studio because of a name on a mic is a dope.
    if a client is looking for brand names on equipment..................
    Then they waste your time, have no experience and are genarally dissapointed in any recordings you do because.....................
    They think brand names MAKE a recording PROFESSIONAL
    Much maligned mic that is like any other mic.
    It works magic when it works. Period"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rayc
    The 57 is the one that appeals least to my ears though I know it gives a flatter response.
    Dude the 57 had the best tone - all you need to do is work on placemnet and tame the proximity a bit

Thanks
    recordingpro,
    Yeah, I know & I do use it. The placement & proximity were prescribes by a need for unoformity in the comparison process. I've played about with it quite a bit. I does its job well I just like the colouration of the 19B electret (& the fact that small changes in angle alter tonality in usable ways).
    I've already found the sweet spot for the 57 & that guitar.
    Thanks for the follow up.

Thanks
    Nice one,
    Some ONE has left me unsigned negative rep for my comments in this thread.
    I wonder why, how?
    It would appear that having an opinion &/or knowing how to research a little background.
    Please remember, if you are prepared to neg me have the conviction to sign it. I won't be malicious and respond in kind. I can handle criticism it if it's justified.
    It's amazing what can be found using the ignore list. I actually left pos rep for this person too.
    Last edited by rayc; 08-05-2006 at 22:41.

Thanks
    that's cuz your statements sound like you need to be doing hearing aid comparisons instead of mic comparisons.

Thread Information