which mic for choirs?

cyber_ops

I'm needing to get some new mics for our church choir (25 voices). Our sanctuary is very wide, with the speakers flush-mounted in the side walls. I think a pair of B3s with omni setting will work the best, but I'm worried about feedback. Will a pair B1s work good enough even though it's only a cardioid? Or is there another mic I should consider?

thanks for all comments.

Yo, Cyber! Your question is not comprehensible. Are you talking for live or recording application or both? If it's for recording, I don't see how you can get feedback without doing something way wrong, and if for live I would think B1 would not be on my A-list. First, you need to tell the nice recording people what you are plugging mic into and for what purpose.-Richie

oops - my bad... been posting on a live sound board and came here for other suggestions.

yes - this is for live sound. As I said, I think an omni mic is going to be better, just concerned about feedback.

thanks.

For live sound I'd probably use a pair of Beta 57's, omni's and LD condenders won't work at all without major feedback problems.

What Philboy said. An omni condenser mic is something you would use to *record* a choir, not for live sound reinforcement. Much too sensitive. Also, you have to use a lot of gain to get the reach you need for group vocals, which promotes feedback. Also, most churches and meeting halls have a lot of natural reverb anyway, and do feedback right, with phasing issues. I would use Shure Beta 58's, several of them, fairly close, with a dedicated mic for a soloist or soloists to step up to. Condensers can be OK for close mic'ing an instrument on stage, but for a choir?- Not.- Richie

Actually, we are using SP B1 mics right now and they are working very well. Choir is about 65 folks and we use 4 mics. Feed back has not been any more of a problem than with the AKG CK91's we had before and the sound is better. The FOH is well front of the choir and we don't feed any of the B1's input inot the monitors. The santuary is large, seats about 2000, and and is shell shaped.

I definately recomend good LD cardioid mic for this purpose. At least they are working very well for us.

Blessings, Terry

OK, I'll be the monkey's uncle. Could you please describe the signal chain and posititionig? Where are the 4 mics relative to the choir, and where are the address speakers? Do you use separate monitor speakers or not? Do you use any pads? And can someone with more live sound reinforcement experience than me tell me why they're not feeding back? I'm asking because I've tried a setup similar to the one you describe with very bad results.- Richie

OK, This is how it is set up. The choir is on risers four deep. The mics are suspended from the ceiling which is about 20 ft high above the stage which is about 6 ft. above the floor at the altar. The front of the stage is circular. The stage is shaped like a football if viewed from above. The choir risers run in a concave shape lining the rear of the stage. the stage is about 40' deep and 60' across. At the front of the stage the soffit rises another 12' or so and the FOH speakers ore flying in front of that. There are Three cabs it the center, (1X15" + horn) two more cabs on either side of them about half way to the corner and then two cabs with 2x15" woofers and a horn and one sub woofer cab with 2x18" on each side at the far ends of the stage. We don't run the Choir through the farthest ones out because they are also the farthest back and will contribute to feedback it the gain is pushed too high. We can get a lot more gain if we keep the output towards the front.

As I said, we don't feed the choir mics through the monitors at all. the monitors are strictly used for the split track and the soloists who us SM 58's.

I won't say this is the very best set up. I can only tell you that it works and it sounds better than the mics that came with the system, which were AKG CK91's. I can't speak to how these would work in a room that is prone to feedback. This is a very nice system that cost over $150,000 when it was installed. It is rare that we have any trouble with feedback on anything.

Hope this helps.

Blessings, Terry

I've been playing w/ a bunch of small and large condenser mics at our church. The B1's set up in front of a choir really picks up everything very well. It's a really nice sound.

We've also used Behringer ECM8000's all over the place. This has turned out to be the most versatile mic. Great for choirs, drum OH's, percussion and a podium mic. We also just have one one up in the front for when people come up to speak.

------------
Dan Richards
Digital Pro Sound
The Listening Sessions

Thanks, Terry. I think to $150,000 is a serious factor here, but I will say I stand corrected by superior experience. What the hell, try the B-1's. If they work, then our concerns don't count for diddly.-Richie

thanks for all the suggestions :)

guess I'll get a couple B1s and a couple ECM8000 and see what kind of sound I get. Then just return the ones that won't work.

thanks again.

Dot: are you using boom stands or just raising up normal mic stands for the B1's? Just curious if I'm gonna need to get some booms.

tanx.

Richard Monroe said:
Thanks, Terry. I think to $150,000 is a serious factor here, but I will say I stand corrected by superior experience. What the hell, try the B-1's. If they work, then our concerns don't count for diddly.-Richie

There is no doubt in my mind that the system is a big factor. That's why I noted it. The whole sanctuary is designed very well. We can get feedback of course but we really have to abuse it to do so. There is nothing like a well designed system. Makes running sound a pleasure.

I'm sure there are better mics for choir, but for $80 each you'd be hard pressed to find some any better than the B1.

We use Split-tracks for our accompaniment so omni mics won't work. They pick up too much of the monitors. For someone using piano or no accompaniment, omni's might work well. You might even be able to do it with two good omni's. I really would worry about feedback with those though.

Blessings, Terry

generally, i have not really worked with many choirs but iwould suggest guns...

especially when the choir is rather small...

get to know where the sections are and gun the sections down...

then it will really add to the feel when you can control which section needs a little boost or whatever...

cardoids' pickup are too wide and might get the sections all mixed up...

and try to use boom stands...

and if there is a must, give soloists their own mics or pre-target the mics towards them...

of course this really requires alot of coordination with the conductor...

Back