Mic cable question

Purpleb

I want to hook a condensor mic up to my mbox. I believe I need a balanced XLR to 1/4 trs cable.

I wanted to know how do you know if the cables are balanced or not?

And does anyone have any affordable mic cable suggestions for my situation?

Thanks in advance everyone.

Doesn't the mbox have xlr inputs? Your condenser mic will need phantom power, make sure the mbox supplies it or it won't work.

A cable is balance when it has 3 leads. Prongs on the xlr or tip/ring/sleave on the 1/4 inch.

Yes the mbox does have the XLR inputs - which I have the cables for. I am stupid. Sorry.

I am actually getting sound now - thanks

One more quick question: When I record to the mbox (it has three inputs mic, line, inst) I set it on mic and turn it all the way up and do not get sound - same w/line, but when i turn it on instrument and turn it all the way up I get sound with a lot of humming - anyway to fix that?

Thanks

"Affordable" means not expensive and not junk: the posts above tell you what the connectors look like. What is important is to buy something that won't deteriorate over time. Look for robust connections and solid soldering joints. ALL metal cable, whether it's M*****r megabuck cable or stuff you soldered up yourself, passes the signal with exactly the same efficiency at exactly the same speed. Don't buy hype -- buy well made cable, or make it yourself. And wrap it correctly when you store it so you don't tear up the shielding.

1-plug in the mic
2- turn on the power
3-turn on the phantom power
4-turn up the input to about 2 o'clock
5-turn up the output

No offense, but the M-Box comes with pretty good user manuals, and it would probably help you out a lot to read over them. All of the questions you've asked are answered either in the user manual or on one of the "quick sheets" or whatever they're called, and it would help you out a whole lot.

Hey OneRoomStudio no offense taken. I looked over them and could not find anything, but guess what? I looked over them again and got it fixed, thanks guys. I appreciate it. I guess manuals are a good thing. It was the mic/line inputs I had on 1 when it should have been 2.

Thanks.

Back