Which mic for average male vocal.

dsalas1

Hey there, I'm starting to build my home studio and I'm looking into upgrading my mic. As an now I have a Sterling St51 but I don't really like how it sounds on my vocal, it's good for acoustic guitars. I was just wondering can anyone help me get the best mic for my studio.

more info required.
What style do you sing?
Is your environment treated?
What type of voice do you have?

Do you have any clips of the vocal you aren't happy with?

What's wrong with it? (in detail if possible)

Fwiw i have $5 on an re20 :p

Last edited:
Male
Mostly Alternative Rock. "Hillsong United and Christ for the nations" Something alike
No my room is not treated, I treated my closet to record.
I don't know how to determine the type of voice but I sing tenor in school, idk if that helps.
And no the voice isn't clipping it's just I don't like the way it sounds, it sounds like it doesn't have any power like week, and kind of bright. I tried working with the eq' but it's hard to fix it.

And no the voice isn't clipping it's just I don't like the way it sounds

He was asking if you could post a sound clip of your voice recorded with your mic.
It's hard to make suggestions without hearing exactly what you are hearing.

When you say average that implies "Baritone" range not American Idol tenor range. Also your genre is very limiting, because all of the good recording techniques have been created by Satan worshipers.

Sm58 works, I find as time goes on sticking with it has helped me better understand how to manipulate it to get what I want out of it. Really nice to drop it and know its gonna work find when I pick it up as well :)

Hey guys, thanks for all your comments, what I'm looking for is basically a mic that sounds clear, the stearling audio st51 sounds good but not as clear as I will like. I'm not a great singer and I know there isn't much that can be done cause of that. I been following the stearling audio st77, what do you guys think about that?

Back