Male Vocal - MXL V67G??

DigitalDon

Marshall MXL V67G
I'm about to order a mic for male vocals. For you country fans the voice is very close to Kenny Chesney. Everything I've read seems to say this mic will work well for this application. I'll also be buying the MXL-57 shock mount. Any comments or suggestions on this mic application? Everyone seems to be selling the mic for $99 and the shock mount for $29.

I can go about twice this price if there's another mic that will give better performance for this application. Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks,
DD

Even with the best of mics, sometimes a particular voice just isn't suited for a particular mic - so of course it's an impossible question to answer, "will I sound good on this mic?"

But, odds are, yes, you'll probably love the sound of this mic. I paid $200 for mine when they first came out, and they're half that now - but I don't regret it! Fine, fine mic. For $99, I don't think anything else on the market can touch it.

A nice contrast to the Marshall would be the Studio Projects B1.
www.studioprojectsusa.com

Not neccesarily "better" for a specific singer, it would simply expand your options. I keep at least five or more vocal mikes to use on my voice alone to use for different material/certain "keys", etc., and some more for other singers.

Chris

SamAsh has the v67B for $79.....

you wont find a BETTER mic under $200...you may find some different and better suited for a particular vocal......

i have one here if ya wanna come pick it up to try it......:D

Hey Chess - Actually the choice was between the V67G and the SP B1. I wanted a little bit of "color" from the mic and I think I'll get that "little bit more" from the V67G. The B1 is next on the list so I'll be buying it in the very near future. There's just been too much positive said about the B1 not to buy it. My only vocal mic right now (other than SM58) is a CAD E100 which I really like. It's just not what I want on the male vocal. Sounds great on female vocal and my mic of choice at the moment on acoustic guitar.

DD

Gidge - yeah I saw the V67B. The G model with the green and gold just really give me a ..... uh, let's not go into that. :D :D :D

DD

I'll agree here too with that combo. But you also said you could go twice the $129 budget. Then you have all sorts of choices. Mine would be an AT4033. I've used that with all kinds of singers, male and female, with great success. These mics are no longer made but there are plenty around for sale used. With the mount and shipping I paid $240 for mine. These mics also have a lot of other applacations they work good for. Or even at $159 how about the SP B3. Lots of choices!!!

I have the B-1 and the V-67G, and for the money I couldn't be happier. The 67, for instance, better suits my rather thin voice, while the B-1 was better for my friend and lead singer's BIG voice, which doesn't need that "something extra."

Fab

Guitarman stan, Smokin man! I only got to listen to two songs
on my lunch hour But I will be sending you some cash for a cd.

Where did people like you go that can play and put out some stuff like this?

I would love to hear the complete chain on how this was recorded
from mics on drums and all if you have the time to post it.

Thanks and again great tunes and great job on recording.

I see the signal chain i think above....but, the voice is what makes that sound so good.....

great job..but was it used on everything? if so, wow..

All parts & vocals were recorded by Jerome Edmonson.
He's one of the most talented musicians i've heard.
I've played w/ him in 2 bands & we are currently working on original tunes to promote our own music.I helped him set up a basement studio last year.90+% was all him ,i provided recording & tech. advice. I'll post a link to more recent versions asap.If anyone would like a copy it can be purchased at the link to his web site.He could use the money as he is raising 3 teenagers by himself.Thanks for the compliments ,i'll pass them on,Stan

Drums we're miced w/Beta 52/kick,hi hat Shure 16a,snare Audio tec. kit pak,keys Roland jx-3p & Alesis qs6.1,percussion Mxlv67,monitors Event 20/20s, bass & guitar,direct &,Johnson J-station

I ordered the V67G and shock mount last Friday. Sent a money order so it'll be a week I'm sure. I also ordered a shorty kick drum mic stand (to free up an extended boom stand), a pair of the new Behringer 2000 headphones and a set of AKG K110M headphones. Just curious how the cheap Behringer and AKG cans will work in the studio for the bands. I didn't want to put much $$ into phones that I know will be dropped, stepped on, etc.

DD

Just received the AKG K110M headphones today. They actually didn't sound too bad (for $20 cans). The high end was better than I expected. Leakage was a little much because the earpads don't seal well at all. Maybe if you duct tape them to your head :D Ok for sitting around listening but not for use if a condensor mic is close by. Still, not bad for $20.

DD

I bought 8 pair of 9.00 a pair headphone from a k,s store 7 years
ago and they have worked great. Their cheap and havnt had a pair fail yet, And they have been through hell. Its nice to not have to worry about them getting thrown on the floor and steped on
and everything else.
But i did buy 1 nice pair of sony,s and they where worth every dime but I only use those at the board and in the vocal booth.

yeah--Guitarman Stan--great recording and Jerome has a killer voice. V67 and ART Tube MP, eh? Your recording lends credence to my feeling that a great performance and proper engineering can do the job, even with inexpensive gear. This is a really great job all around. Thanks for sharing this.

Back