Looking to upgrade my condenser for Vocals & Acoustic guitar

RoOkiE85

i have a studio project's b1(older version). It has been great for my home studio, but i know there's more out there that perform better. which one's would you guys prefer from the price range of $100-$300. i heard of them marshall mxl 3000's & 4000's from musiciansfriend.com that are pretty good. and them m-audio luna's....anyone with experience with these? any other in that price range that are great for vocals and acoustic guitars?

Good Mic for price range

The Rode NT1 is excellent for vocals and acoustic guitar, and is somewhere in the middle of your stated price range. That's one to check into for sure, it sounds quite good to my ears.

If you like Studio Projects, I would look for a used Studio Projects T-3, swap the tube, and you will have a very nice mic.

Charlie

how do you do that? interesting?

I don't know that particular mic, but generally, the bottom of the mic unscrews and then the jacket slides off behind it, revealing the guts of the mic. Usually, the tubes are socketed, so you just yank one and shove the new one in its place... preferably wearing clean cotton gloves to avoid contaminating the tube with finger oil.

Be careful not to knock any wires off the bottom of the socket, and have a soldering pencil handy just in case you accidentally break one off. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

I don't know that particular mic, but generally, the bottom of the mic unscrews and then the jacket slides off behind it, revealing the guts of the mic. Usually, the tubes are socketed, so you just yank one and shove the new one in its place... preferably wearing clean cotton gloves to avoid contaminating the tube with finger oil.

Be careful not to knock any wires off the bottom of the socket, and have a soldering pencil handy just in case you accidentally break one off. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

so what kind of tube would be good? sounds simple...i use to solder at my old work place so this will be simple, just need to know what type of tube to use...

The usual tube for upgrades in these mics is a NOS GE 6072, 5 Star, Black Plate, Triple Mica............do a search on GreedBay for 6072. That said, I know that Brent Casey at PMI had been trying various tubes and had a preference for something other than the 6072.

:cool:

If you really want to hear the difference by simply changing mics and not changing anything else, save your money and buy a mic that isn't made in China. Your choice will be much easier because the list is much shorter, and the sound is much better.

If you're okay doing mods you might consider getting an Apex 460. Love mine for classical guitar, lute, vox, piano. Lots of info on the mods can easily be found here and elsewhere on the web. And they're not bad out of the box.

ok...thanks for all the inputs but i've made up my mind....

These are the ones I was told to look into and looked into:

Mxl: v67g, v67i, v67q, 3000 & 4000
M-audio luna
Rode nt1a
AT4040
Studio projects c3 and t3
apex 460

So i looked into all of these and they were all from $100 to $300 or so...But the one that caught my eyes the most was not a tube...I liked the Rode NT1a and the mxl 3000/4000's. I'm leaning towards the Rode. If i can get someones opinion on them mxl 3000's that'll be great and a sound clip would be great too...but my desicion of right now is the Rode. Who knows it can change within a few days...

Back