Looking For Quality Condenser Multi Pattern Mic

zooeywoof

Good day all~ After a 10 yr hiatus & liquidation of everything, I'm getting back into it with the Tascam Model 24.
So far I have an Equitek E100 for electric guitar, but for recording my custom 12 string acoustic, (& single micing a 6 string on omni), thinking I'd put a larger diaphragm mic capable of an omni pattern on the sound hole, & put the E100 on the neck. Anything exceptional for $200 or less,,, if something sticks out for a little more, I'll live. Thanks all & best of health~

Good day all~ After a 10 yr hiatus & liquidation of everything, I'm getting back into it with the Tascam Model 24.
So far I have an Equitek E100 for electric guitar, but for recording my custom 12 string acoustic, (& single micing a 6 string on omni), thinking I'd put a larger diaphragm mic capable of an omni pattern on the sound hole, & put the E100 on the neck. Anything exceptional for $200 or less,,, if something sticks out for a little more, I'll live. Thanks all & best of health~
I honestly don't know of anything exceptional under $200. Pickings are slim down there for quality LDCs with multi-pattern capability.

I can personally recommend the Miktek MK300 for $300*, but they seem to be in short supply right now. (You'll find this with many things - all kinds of supply chain problems.)

The Warm WA-47jr gets good reviews at $270*, and it's available and a company with a pretty fair reputation for products so not money thrown away if you end up selling it down the road, though I suspect it will meet a lot of needs.

*street prices, likely MAP. You might get a discount some places by asking, but maybe not - like I said, things are a little tight.

I've got a pair of Studio Projects B3s. They are multipattern, and actually pretty good sounding. They have a somewhat bright but controlled top end. Not especially "fizzy". I've had them for over 10 years and still use them. $159 any day at Sweetwater, or any number of dealers.

Its not a ELA M251 or a U87ai, but for the price, its a pretty darn good mic.

The WA-47jr garners some really good comments as well. Its one I've considered checking out, but really don't "need" one at this time.

Staying with the CAD/Equitek line, the CAD M179's I have are a pretty decent mic for around $200.

+1 arcaxis
The AKG P420 is another but not as quiet or as versatile as the M179.
M179 | CAD AUDIO - The Brand Used by Professionals

The cheapest LDC with omni that I know of is the dual-pattern Nady SCM-960 (about $60 at B&H), which is actually not bad. As far as I can tell, not a lot of performance difference between it and the JoeMeek JM37dp.

Well, at least you have four mics to check out.

Paj
8^)

I'm a firm believer in Chinese products - the majority of the rather nice 'special' mics are made there, or at least have been assembled from their parts that I am happy with their stuff and a few years back I bought some that were cardioid and omni switchable, and they've proven a great buy. This kind of thing Best quality cardioid/Bi/Omni wide application wired electret condenser studio Karaoke recording microphone YR01|recording microphone|quality microphonemicrophone best - AliExpress

You need to remember that these things are to all intents and purposes one-offs, assembled by small office/workshop tiny businesses in big co-op communities. So they'll have an idea, buy the PCBs from somebody else in the building, put them in a housing from another, using elements from another. They'll know nothing about them apart from what they look like. Buying two will give you a stereo pair. Buying one, liking it and ordering another could give you something sounding totally different - so there are risks. I have had hundreds over the years, and kept lots for my own use and sold the rest. Only two have been terrible. most are perfectly usable and sometimes there are just gems, and I guard these carefully. The one in this ad is very typical. The body is very, very common - lots of mics available use exactly the same one. I think the pub is familiar, but of course by the time they arrive it could use a different one.

My advice would be to buy two of these, or do some time consuming hunting - keeping in mind that searching for omni rarely brings back omni mics - lots are described as omni when clearly they are not!

Get them, try them and then either sell them on ebay and recover what you paid, or use them.

I firmly believe that lots of the boutique mics people rant about are actually just lucky combinations of parts that play nicely, and not some kind of really clever design or production care.

I've bought so much from China in the last few years I've got friendly with many of the suppliers and they quite happily reveal how they produce things. I think I have said it before, but I sent one of these suppliers a picture of an old German stereo large diaphragm mic and asked if they had anything like that. Two weeks later they said they could do it. I needed to commit to buying 5 because they had to source the parts. I got a stereo omni/fig-8/cardioid mic, beautifully built by hand that works like a dream. Sold the other 4 to enthusiasts going me mine for free!

Don't be afraid to try things - good fun, actually. The firm I bought my microphones from still exist, but they make stage lighting now, not microphones!

Lots of so called manufacturers now buy in Chinese mics, polish the cases and rebox them. A good product still - so what?

"I firmly believe that lots of the boutique mics people rant about are actually just lucky combinations of parts that play nicely, and not some kind of really clever design or production care."

Another explanation Rob is that 'Big Names' have as much trouble making a consistent product but find only a small percentage pass their very stringent QC? Then they scrap the dross. That, is a very expensive mode of production!

Dave.

My concerns with some of the Chinese assemblers is that these backroom/garage operations usually dont have the equipment to properly test and certify that the product meets specification. One other issue we ran into was that proprietary processes don't remain proprietary for long. It seems that with almost every company, there is a brother who can make a similar product in his company.

I ran into this with the chemical industry where I worked for over 40 years. For the last 30 years, the Japanese and Koreans were great. They could make a product that was consistent but they were rarely small manufactures. With China, you would have some large companies making product (we actually owned one plant) and it was consistent. But if you bought from a lot of distributors, they would buy from small family operations in a metal shed with some mixing equipment, dubious safety and environmental processes, and little to no process or quality control. Quality varied from good to abysmal. When your customer is using 6sigma measurements of your product, the materials going in have to be consistent.

Compare this with someone like Rode, where they have bought and designed automated equipment and invested in testing equipment to certify product. They are a relatively young company and they have invested heavily in technology and design. I'm certain folks like Sennheiser, AKG, and even MXL do the same. I believe when you buy your U87, you also get a printout of the test responses as part of the QC.

I have to admit theres so many choices its hard to try them all.
After going through a bunch I went to SHURE, similar to ARCAXIS sticking with a "line".
For me it was to eliminate the choice confusion and let me focus on comparing different designs and learn about LDC vs SDC vs Dynamic and patterns and eliminate brand name.

Shure has US , Mexico and Asia lines and can go from $29 to $1000 or more...but they are in general reasonably priced and from all of my experiences have a good handle on the quality control.

It gets tempting to try a WARM 47jr or a Behringer B2PRO now and then...or a RE20 etc....AT, AKG, Senn...
but really they are all based on the same main platforms of LDC, SDC, Dynamics...with and without transformers...and then the Capsules can go into another world of gear science. And those are made all over the place too. :confused:

dude heres a few acoustic recorded with a PG81 Shure, KSM 27, MXL BCD1, ...clean no plugs acoustic riff...not 12 string but gets an idea of a SDC, LDC, Dynamic
the 81 is a known go to for acoustics, Eagles and others thru the 70's and maybe more.
I found the PG81 to the new SM81 and the original SM81 to be similar flavor.

2020 Acoustic Test 81 27 Bcd1 by ccb | Free Listening on SoundCloud

Back