Looking for a new mic for vocals

"All of them"? There are only two models. The original, which was reckoned to be unpleasant by many, and the re-engineered black one, which is significantly different.

All of the generations I have tried, which include NT1 and NT1A. I worked in a music shop for nine years, so I think I got that part covered.

All of the generations I have tried, which include NT1 and NT1A. I worked in a music shop for nine years, so I think I got that part covered.

Both NT1A and early NT1 were reckoned by many to have a harsh high end. What do you see the failings of the black NT1 to be?

You try a Royer ribbon? They are awesome. You will instantly find that recognizable Royer sound. No wonder they are $1200.

The NT-1a was garbage. On or off axis.

Man, you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder. The NT1a 'silver one' I still find as a great mic for acoustic guitar. One man's garbage opinion can also equate to some guys bullshit. Just saying.

Your personal opinion is like so many others who have limited experience. I find your personality to be kind of harsh. I might throw some eq on it.. lol!

Carry on and happy new year! :)

How many people here subscribe to the idea that if a mic costs $1000 it must be so much better than a cheap mic?

Depends on how you value better and how much better.

To me an expensive mic should be better in every way and especially in the reasons for the extra cash whatever they are. But I would apply that to anything. A mic, a car etc.

Man, you really seem to have a chip on your shoulder. The NT1a 'silver one' I still find as a great mic for acoustic guitar. One man's garbage opinion can also equate to some guys bullshit. Just saying.

Your personal opinion is like so many others who have limited experience. I find your personality to be kind of harsh. I might throw some eq on it.. lol!

Carry on and happy new year! :)

Yeah...Happy. I might be a bit of a dick. We all have things...

The NT-1a was an entry level LDC microphone. You get the basics from it.

The microphones I like don't need EQ to make them sound nice.

Paying more for a microphone , is a game of diminishing returns. It works up to a point.

NT-1a on acoustic in small bedroom.
NT1AsameAcoustic by Mark C | Free Listening on SoundCloud

The microphones I like don't need EQ to make them sound nice.

Paying more for a microphone , is a game of diminishing returns. It works up to a point.

The only way you can legitimately say that is by trying them all. So how many have you tried?

I found two mics that sound great for under $300.00 The Lewitt LCT 440 pure and the sE 2200. In a good blind shoot out I saw between the sE 2200 and an AKG 414 everyone picked the sE as sounding better. ($299.00) Amy Winehouse recorded a whole album with that mic. The Lewitt LCT 440 Pure will be my next purchase $269.00 they sound crystal clear and detailed, a good counter part to my tube mic.

Not sure real people keep track of that information..Radio Shack microphones included?

Please forgive me. I forgot you were a 'real person'.

It would help listing your microphone experience being as you made such a broad statement earlier on your experience of microphones.

your experience of microphones.

No I just dont think people really keep track of that. A nice one might stand out and I'd ask whats that. I own 5-6 microphones.

I'm a home recording enthusiast. Not an active live performer. Playing all the pop instruments for decades.

Still up until a couple years back I would get together with old friends and jam greatest hits.

Did radio stations, battles, bars, festivals, studio recording twice to record singles. Live was SM57/58's then studio recording I was introduced to the finer recording instruments.

At Q101 studios Lake Street studios. The local music showcase was on Sunday just after Love Line with DR. Drew. and Adam Carolla.

Oh, and I was the live guitar player, for the Ginny Show on WHBC.

Last edited:

You said the above. My point is that you can only say that if you have experience of such.

I have a Rode NT1A kit. It cost approx £150 and I also have another same type mic which cost over £1000. I thought the Rode was good but my more expensive mic blows it away.

Is it or was it worth £900 more? To us yes.

I should imagine that a £2000 and a £4000 mic sound even better. I cant imagine that at the present because I have never used such. If I ever got the chance I would be hugely disappointed if that wasnt the case.

But I wouldnt make such a broad statement of more expensive gear as you did early. Especially when I have no experience of such.

What upgrade have they done to the microphone design to improve it?

Bedazzle it with jewels?

The capsule..the diaphram as its made I believe, the process Nano Dentation creates them in a range. In large numbers. There is variable in the end and they need to measure them for consistancy. The ones closest to the spec are kept as premium components. The material value of the components are the same.

If the microphone design is right and the sensitivity right for the application, the closest to peg difference becomes less and less.

Last edited:
I should imagine that a £2000 and a £4000 mic sound even better.

Why though? At a price point of $1000 and above, you’re paying for color of sound only, not for any more quality in a mic. Or, if there is any difference, the diminishing returns at the price point are so great that you shouldn’t be able to tell.

Why though? At a price point of $1000 and above, you’re paying for color of sound only, not for any more quality in a mic. Or, if there is any difference, the diminishing returns at the price point are so great that you shouldn’t be able to tell.

I really cannot comment as I have never even been in the same room as mics in that price bracket. But I followed 'internet' advice and purchased the NT1A kit and thought this must be as they say and recommend.

Then one day a few months later because of circumstances and mass curiosity, I purchased a mic costing £900 more than the Rode. When it came, we used it and I thought we can send it back within the month anyway. :rolleyes: I suppose there are a few who do similar. ;)

Anyway we were ok with it until we had to go back and listen to an older recording made with the Rode. We were both left bewildered and thought something was wrong until we realised that there was nothing wrong with the Rode, but our more expensive mic gave a much higher quality recording which we had gotten used to while working with it over the past few weeks.

Its all horses for courses, but I can only tell you our experience and in our case we got what we paid for. Ok perhaps there is a mic costing £600 out there which is just as good or even better. But we have no experience of it so cannot possibly comment.

Back