Looking for Mic recommendations

masternk

I bought an AKG D790 mic a while ago at Guitar Center for vocal recording at home for about $120, supposedly 50% off of list. It was recommended to me by the sales person. I find that it is quite powerful but also very sensitive. The mic picks up every little vibration, movement of lips, breathing and also some 'pop' which I do not know where it is coming from! Compared to an old and inexpensive Sony condenser mic I have,$40, ECM-220FA, I find the Sony gives a better 'soothing and rounded' results. What seems to be the problem?

I do'nt have any sophistcated studio set up. When I went back and asked at the Guitar Center, they tell me to use mic shock absorbers and diaphragms etc. which I currently do not have. I use a Radio Shack mixer and then go into a tape deck.
Thanks

I was messing around with my new compressor the other evening and my wife was doing some dishes in the kitchen.

In my recording you can hear the water running from the tap! Kinda funny, because my brain filtered it out when I was recording, but there it was, plain as day when I hit playback.

There are somethings you can do to improve the situation though.... I'm not sure about a home-made shock mount, but a common poor-mans pop screen can be made with a wire coat hanger and an old pair of womens hoze. Try doing a search on the forum and you'll get explicit directions (heck, maybe you'll find a homebrew shockmount recpie too!)

-Shaz

aRE you holding the mic in your hands??? that could be y you are getting the pop or vibration. make a homemade pop screen.

Where is your mic placement in this? If You're getting breath noise and pops I'd do 2 things:
1.) Get a pop filter
2.) Place the mic on a stand, invert it, and raise it up on the boom so that the capsule is about even with your forehead. Don't lift your head when you sing, just sing "straight" outward. That should do wonders to eliminate the breath noise.

Thanks for all the interesting replies!
Here is some clarification:
-We are using the mic on a stand. I have put some weight at the base to keep it firm. The mic stand is on a carpeted floor.
-I usually place the mic almost horizontal, or tilting up at slight angle, may be 20 degrees. The singer(actually my wife) sings classical music and she sings straight into the mic with practically staying still.
-We have done recording mostly in the night after things have quietened a bit.

I appreciate all the tips. Will try some of the suggestions for sure.

From what you just said it sounds like she needs to back off the mic a bit. If your doing classical it will sound a little more natural farther back also. If she is really belting it out you should have her back off the mic a little more on the loud stuff.

Back