looking for a lavalier that records like a ardioid or a shotgun

nico reio

Hello,

I am shooting documentaries. For years, I have been using a Sennheiser ME64, mounted on camera, sometimes switching to ME66 .

For smaller cameras, I have used AKG C747.

For a particular project, I now need to shoot with a "point and shoot" camera, very small in size. There is no way I can attach any kind of mike on this cam (no flash shoe and no sound input jack).

So, I was thinking of attaching a mike to my body, just like a lavalier, pointing in front of me instead of pointing towards my head .

Of course, a regular lapel microphone will not do, as lapel (regular "lavaliers") are designed to record voice at short distance. Whereas I want to record everything that is in front of me, at a 90° or 120° angle.

Therefore, I am trying to find a mike , ideally the same size as a lavalier, or a bit larger - but with a cardoid (or even shotgun-like) pickup patern.

In terms of connnections, I could use either XLR or a mini-jack. It could be phantom-powered, or not.

I believe such a mike does indeed exist, but until now I had no luck in my browsing manufacturers sites. I'd be most grateful for any and all advice!

Nicolas

Can you mount the 747 on your chest? That would do the trick for you, if you can fudge the mic? Most small lavs are omni - but there are a few cardioids. Sennheiser do them, and again, if you can rig a mount, then your problem is solved. Shure and Audio Tec do them too.

I'd imagine that any omni would do the trick. If you clip it to your chest/collar, your body will block a lot of what's behind you, leaving mainly what's in front of you and off to the sides in the capture.

The mic itself really won't care about distance. The inverse-square law is the one that cares about that :)

They make lavaliers in both cardiod and omni patterns, and I'm sure there are some super and hyper cardioids out there as well if an omni is too wide but a cardioid is too narrow.

Hello,

I am shooting documentaries. For years, I have been using a Sennheiser ME64, mounted on camera, sometimes switching to ME66 .

For smaller cameras, I have used AKG C747.

For a particular project, I now need to shoot with a "point and shoot" camera, very small in size. There is no way I can attach any kind of mike on this cam (no flash shoe and no sound input jack).

So, I was thinking of attaching a mike to my body, just like a lavalier, pointing in front of me instead of pointing towards my head .

Of course, a regular lapel microphone will not do, as lapel (regular "lavaliers") are designed to record voice at short distance. Whereas I want to record everything that is in front of me, at a 90° or 120° angle.

Therefore, I am trying to find a mike , ideally the same size as a lavalier, or a bit larger - but with a cardoid (or even shotgun-like) pickup patern.

In terms of connnections, I could use either XLR or a mini-jack. It could be phantom-powered, or not.

I believe such a mike does indeed exist, but until now I had no luck in my browsing manufacturers sites. I'd be most grateful for any and all advice!

Nicolas

I doubt it exists like you want.

Shotgun would be a big problem as you moved and it moved on your clothes.

If you can use xlr with power then get a tripod and mount a real mike on top that you could use when it is stable and steady.

Have to use a point and shoot? That makes no sense. You trying to hide the camera so they dont see it?

Back