Thread: Live Performance Mic

Thanks

Question Live Performance Mic

Sign in to disable this ad
    I need help in purchasing a microphone for recording live performances from the audience. This is primarily for big shows (specifically Dave Matthews). I've read a couple of places that cardioids are the best, but that really means nothing to me. My price range is 100 to 200.

Thanks All

Thanks
    Get a couple of SM58s - built like tanks, they are almost indestructible, and can be used by the masses without fear them being damaged. They also exhibit the "Proximity Effect" which is common to pressure-gradient mics, which tends to enhance the voice characteristics making it sound "warmer" (enhanced bass)

You can get an SM58 for less than $100

- Wil

PS: Oh - and don't forget, in an emergency an SM-58 makes a really good hammer.

"....................."
    - Marcel Marceau

Thanks
    get the sm-58 without a doubt its the best mic for live applications and even some studio recording applications...madonna, phil collins and mick jagger among others have used it in the studio...
    its a good choice

Thanks
    Ooops! - sorry, I should have read your post more closely - I thought you were recording members of the audience in like an "open-mic" situation. My apologies for the confusion - c7sus is quite right, an SM58 is not what you want...

- Wil

"....................."
    - Marcel Marceau

Thanks
    I actually will be recording on a sony minidisc. I am not looking for real top of the line quality, just something along the line of getting decent sound so I can listen to the stuff again.

Thread Information