Lewitt LCT 440 Pure or Rode NT1

Jschmitz54

After good advice here on the forum about microphones in this price range these two seem like high quality natural sounding choices. Which would you choose or is there something else? The microphone would be my only mic used for vocals and acoustic guitar.

My Input

Jschmitz54,

I have a pretty big Mic Locker.
I have mostly large diaphragm and mid sized diaphragm mics, but I have 3-4 pairs of small as well.

I have a lot of the older Equitek E-series including one E100s of the newer series.
I have a Neumann TLM-49, different Kel Mics, Warm Audio WA14, Lewitt LCT240 (not the newer "Pro"), Ribbon Mics, Dynamics like the SM7 and others and a handful of wacko mics and shotgun mics.

When I think of all the Mics I have and think... "If I had to choose 1 mic to take with me somewhere to record Acoustic Guitar and Vocals, which would I take?"...

I would take my Rode NT1. (The new Black Version... not the NT1A... )
I do a lot of Singer Songwriter stuff for others and it just works.

That being said... I have not tried the Lewitt LCT440 but it has an equally low self noise which is a good thing and it does not appear to be an overly bright mic so that is good too. (IMO)

The question would be... what are the characteristics of your voice and Guitar and which of the 2 would sound better?

The build quality of the Lewitt mics are fabulous, having said that, the tonality of the 440 just does not trip my trigger... but may be perfect for you.

The 1st Rode NT1 I bought was magical! I loved it so much I bought a 2nd one.
I was disappointed in the second one... it was not any where close in balance tonality with the 1st so I bought a 3rd!
It was closer so I claimed victory and stopped.

I think either would work.
I really like the Rode.

The Videos of the LCT440 I have heard had a sound I was not really excited about for my ears.

My suggestion is buy one from a place you can return it to if you are not pleased.
I wish I had experience with the LCT440, but because I don't... my vote is for the Rode NT1.

I hope that helps,
Tom

Back