leaving mic's set up....

detuned6

Metal dude
I kinda leave my mics setup on the kit for awhile, so when ever im ready to record my mics and pres are good to go. I am using a cad M37 1" cond on the kick and its been in their for over a month. Could this put any harm/pressure on the mics ??
Or am i being paranoid?

I had the same problem because I recently got a SP TB-1 tube mic and don't want to constantly connect and disconnect the cable and clip mount, so I got a recloseable food storage bag (gallon size) and a packet of silica gel from some glucosamine/chondroitan that my wife takes and put the baggie over the mic with the silica gel in the bottom of the baggie and then close the baggie from each end so that it is fairly tight around the boom and cable. That keeps the dust and dirt out of/off the mic and the silica gel helps to keep the humidity and moisture down inside the baggie.

BTW, got this idea because the TB-1 came inside the carrying case enclosed in a recloseable baggie with a small packet of silca gel. I figure if the factory thinks it's a good thing to do, then I would too.

Tom

PS Do remove the baggie before doing any recording!!!!!

I disagree with trying to seal up your mic after use.
I know that the silica gel packs dont last once you have opended
up the case. Its not like all the air inside your mic case is going to
rush over and go through that little packet before it goes to your mic.
The only way your going to keep moisture out of the mic is to
find a way to completly seal it from everything.
And that would take some kind of vacume system.
I would say unless the area your keeping you gear is just a terrible place then dont worry about it.
Maybe old electronics from years ago this was a major problem
but I kinda doubt it is today.
Stick it up, Keep the dust out of it and use it and quit worry about
something you cant control. Heck you dont do this to your computer,Tv, effects or anything else you use.

Herm said:
I disagree with trying to seal up your mic after use.
I know that the silica gel packs dont last once you have opended
up the case.

<snip>

It take's longer than that, and you can tell when it happens because the silica gel pack changes color, and you just dry out the packs in the oven when that happens. When I'm not using my mic's, I put them in their plastic ziplock bags with the silica gel pack, put it in the pouch, and then the aluminum mic cases. No problems.

See this thread https://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?threadid=82209

PS. I bought my Aluminum Cases for my mic's from Harbor Freight Tools, Item 39196, they were on sale for $19.99 each.

UPDATE. The Harbor Freight Tools, Item 39196 number has been changed to ITEM 35777-3VGA and is now $21.99 http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=35777

Last edited:
Back