LDC vs. SDC on drum overheads

Milkfaj

what are the differences in sound quality with SDCs vs. LDCs on drum overheads, what are some personal experiences? Also, do you need to have two matching mics or do mis-matched overheads work well too?

LDC's or SDC's will work it all depends on the mic. And matched pairs are really needed, but i guess you could do it without. If at all possible, try and get mics that have atleast somewhat the same frequency response, If you have a way of testing them before you buy them. Ive used c414 LDC's and some Rode SDC's, and they both sound good. The rode's were much more detailed, and the c414's were more smooth.

I would say that in general LDC's tend to have a more "open" sound to them, whereas SDC's sound "tighter." I have found that I get more high hat/cymbal bleed problems with LDC's (meaning there is too much cymbal going on).

My 2 favorite mics for overheads are AKG 414's and AKG C451's. The 414's are great if you need a big, natural sound, and the 451's are great if you want a zingier, metallic punch to the cymbals (very 80's sounding).

I've gotten really good results with Shure SM81's as well. But I like those for high hat more. They have a semi-wimpy, sheeny sound that suits how I like hats to sound.

The session I did this weekend I used 451's in combination with a CAD Equitek 200 set on omni mode. The results were quite good--detailed cymbals without too much leakage or brashness to the sound. The omni worked great where I had it positioned.

It was an unorthodox setup: I put a 451 over the low tom and another over the high tom pointing downwards about 5 1/2' over the kit. Then I placed the omni about 7' up pointing downwards towards the snare between the 2 overheads (so it was actually in the stereo "middle" of the kit... but off to the left hand side by the ride cymbal/low tom side. The stereo image came out great.

Back