LD Condenser Mic Problem

micr0s

Hi. I've been a long time lurker and read a lot of stuff that goes through this forum but this is my first post...I wish it could be on better cirucmstances.
I have a gig in a few days, and in preparation for it I ordered an SP B1 based on reviews from here. I bought it because I thought my MXL v67G was broken - it made hissing noises when I listened to it. Sounds directed at the mic were present but muted. I thought the problem would go away with my new mic purchase. However, much to my dismay, the same noise is present with the B1. I have a pair of SD MXL603S and both work fine. For preamps, I have a Mackie 1402-VLZ and an audiobuddy. The problem is present using both.
Does anyone have any idea what's going on? Could the problem be a lack of voltage from phantom power? Do mics usually sound like that when they're lacking power?
My mackie has been acting up lately and I'm almost certain I read somewhere that the audiobuddy doesn't supply the full 48v. I may be mistaken, but could that be the problem? How can I check to see if the phantom power on my mackie is okay? Or maybe both mics are just bad....

Thanks in advance for your help.

It is unlikely a problem with the mics if it happens with two different fairly new microphones. To be 100% sure, take them over to a friend's house or to your local music store and plug them into some other mixers or preamps.

Make sure it is not the cables you are using as well. I'm assuming you also tried different channels on your mixer with the same results.

Other things can make mics crap out too, like high humidity - but that would probably effect the small diaphragm condensers as well. (If you live in Houston or New Orleans without A/C this could be a real problem.)

The phantom power problem sounds like a good possibility, although I admit I know nothing about audio buddies. It might be time for a new mixer.

Phantom power on both is fine... Audiobuddies are down around 30v while loaded but my mackie is a flat 48.1. I got my V67G to work, it looks like it was just a loose connection. The B1 is still making fuzzy noises. I tried switching cables to no avail.
I'm beginning to think that my B1 is faulty from the factory. Any other suggestions before I send Alan an email?

Sometimes the mic body doesn't make a good electrical connection with the connector assembly. I know that with the v67 you can unscrew the retaining ring and screw it back in several times in case there is some anodization in the threads. I'm at work and don't have access to my B1 so don't know what unscrews. I would suggest taking it apart and reassembling it (just whatever is easy to unscrew) to see if this makes a better connection.
If it's not possible, or doesn't help, email Alan.

You can take out the two phillips setscrews on the body and unscrew the lower body from the uper a few turns, then screw it back in again to see if this makes any difference. I don't know if removing those screws would void the warranty, though.

Back