large diaphragm condenser mic vs small diaphragm condenser mic

princeville01

hi guys, i need your help for this. what is the difference between large diaphragm condenser mic vs small diaphragm condenser mic? what are the advantages and disadvantages?

i only record vocals and acoustic guitar.

thanks.

hi guys, i need your help for this. what is the difference between large diaphragm condenser mic vs small diaphragm condenser mic? what are the advantages and disadvantages?

i only record vocals and acoustic guitar.

thanks.

They have different size diaphrams! LOL :) But seriously, usually sdc's are thought to be more accurate, and LDC's more flattering. But this is a big generalization and there are exceptions to the rule. Most people use sdc's for instruments and LDC's for voice, but each individual mic must be judged on it's own merits, and how it sounds on your particular instrument or voice, in your particular room.

I have gotten good acoustic guitar recordings with LDC's, and good vocals with sdc's. So there really are no rules. Audition the mics, (if you can) and choose the best sounding mics your budget allows. And don't get too hung up on what type it is. How it sounds is the bottom line. That being said, by choice I use mostly dynamic mics these days. Don't count a good dynamic out.

The small diaphragm will pick up details in your guitar playing, like a nice shimmer, some pleasing transient pick noise, and other cool stuff, while the large diaphragm will tend to overlook those things because it can't react as fast to changes in the sound (because it's bigger and has more mass to move).

The small diaphragm will pick up details in your vocals, like spit smacking, some slurpy sounds, and other yucky stuff, while the large diaphragm will tend to overlook those things because it can't react as fast to changes in the sound (because it's bigger and has more mass to move).

The small diaphragm will pick up details in your vocals, like spit smacking, some slurpy sounds, and other yucky stuff, while the large diaphragm will tend to overlook those things because it can't react as fast to changes in the sound (because it's bigger and has more mass to move).

Ick!!! Dynamics overlook even more stuff!

antichef said:
The small diaphragm will pick up details in your guitar playing, like a nice shimmer, some pleasing transient pick noise, and other cool stuff, while the large diaphragm will tend to overlook those things because it can't react as fast to changes in the sound (because it's bigger and has more mass to move).

Slightly true. Large diaphragm mics do have more mass and probably a tick less transient response but it doesn't mean much next to how the mic is voiced to begin with. You might get more bottom from proximity with a LDC. Almost certainly more volume from the mic itself and less self-noise making it good for quieter sources like a vocal. The self-noise of a small capsule would still have to be pretty bad before it becomes an issue.

antichef said:

Spitty mics don't get there just from the size of the capsule. There are a lot of small condensers that can do a great job on vocals. And large ones that can't.

Pencil mics have better off axis response and sound a lot more natural. For better or worse. "Natural" isn't always the goal for a vocal, but it really depends on the source.

Back