kick drum mics

BradD

I'm struggling with purchasing the "right" kick drum mic. I record basic rock and roll music. No metal or anything. I've heard the D112 and I don't really like it's poingy sound. Someone previously described it as sounding like a flat basketball. I wouldn't disagree. I'm looking for more of a fat rounded sound. I've always liked Alex Van Halen's sound on kick. Any suggestions.

BradD said:
I'm struggling with purchasing the "right" kick drum mic. I record basic rock and roll music. No metal or anything. I've heard the D112 and I don't really like it's poingy sound. Someone previously described it as sounding like a flat basketball. I wouldn't disagree. I'm looking for more of a fat rounded sound. I've always liked Alex Van Halen's sound on kick. Any suggestions.
Maybe the problem is that you're mic'ing the inside of the kick. Try mic'ing the outside, and you'll get much less of that basketball sound. Almost any mic will give you that sound if you're mic'ing the inside.

i think the D112 is capable of fat and round if miked right.....maybe with a kick tunnel....or a decent LDC like the Marshall v67 with a kick tunnel......

warning:the previous statements are the opinions of the author only and do not necessarily reflect facts.....

If you like Alex's sound, why don't you do the same thing he does and buy one of those stick-on metal disks and apply to the beater head, right where the beater hits the head. Not "smacky" enough? Replace your felt beater with a wood or plastic beater.

Last time i saw them touring, he had D-112's attached to the inside of his kicks.

Interesting. Thanks guys. I don't own a D-112, but when I heard it on the AKG mic CD, I didn't particularly like the sound. I'm not sure how it was placed.

I have a beta 52, and I place it about 6" away from the reso head. Its a great sound for rock. It sounds just like the ACDC bass drum! Obviously, tuning is very important, but I like to mic the outside.

Dave

Sounds like you may have the kick drum tuned incorrectly for what you are looking for. I would start there first. I'm not really familiar with the Van Halen kick drum (it's been a long time....), but I'll take your word for it that it's soft and round. I personally really like a Sennheiser 421, but it's brighter than something like a Shure SM-7 (not SM-57). If the kick drum is tuned right, the 421 will shine. I often combine that with a large diaphram condenser (usually a Soundelux U195 or Soundelux iFET7), but it's not completely necessary, the condenser is there in my usage mostly for the low thud. It's pulled back further away from the kick drum to allow the bass frequency wave form to develop. You may want to try this with a single mic (make sure you build some sort of "tent", a thick blanket at a minimum to reduce bleed). It's not defined enough alone for my tastes, but it will give you a fat sound.

Nathan Eldred
atlasproaudio.com

The drum itself has way more to do with the sound than the mics. That being said, D-112's are what I use mostly but always along with a large diaphram condensor out in front of the kick about 3' or so. The D-112 inside captures the attack and the LDC outside catchs the body of the sound. Mix to taste.

the drum (and heads) would have the biggest impact on your sound dude. new drums won't give you that vhalen sound right out of the box. regardless, score a d12 and not only will you have one of the best kick mics ever made but one that'll increase in value over time.

i've used the beta 52 and d112 with great results.

I like the D112 or MD421 on kick also... but, I'm surprised no one has plugged the ATM25 as a good kick drum mic in this thread yet.

FWIW,

As far as general sound and micing technique is concerned, I'm with DrummerDave....I always mic the outside....one mic....but with closed head.....only I usually use a Beyer M88 (Sweet mic!) placed about 5 or 6 inches away and halfway between the center and rim.....hope that makes sense.

That said, tuning IS the most important part...I have used the Beyer, a D12 AND a D112 in the same position and while my preferences would definately put the D112 last, the sound was at least comparable and useable across all mics. I repeat...ANY of those mics should yeild a decent kick drum sound, subtle preferences aside!

I dont know if this will help you but I make sure to start tuning the kick by tuning each lug to a piano's "F" on both heads and going from there if i need to tweak it. I'd almost bet you are tuned a bit high. I have to admit....kick is one thing I never have issues with....I can struggle with THE snare sound all day, but never kick.

Good luck,

heylow

Thanks guys. My impression of the D112 to date comes from only the AKG mic CD. However, I just ordered one and will take this advice into account once it is received.

And don't forget that there is now, finally, a new competitor on the kick drum market, the Audio Technica AE2500, a dual-element cardioid kick drum mic. It splits out to 2 channels, one capturing the OOmphs, the other the clicks - everything without phasing problems.
Definately the mic to beat now.

An AT rep was showing me one of those the other day. One condensor and one dynamic capsule each in one housing. I'd love to road test one.

The D-112 pales in comparison to its parent the D-12E...that being said, I use an Audix D-4 right on the head slightly off center and with about 12 degrees of tilt at the other end of the kik i use an ATM25 ..not to be confused with a 'pro25'which doesnt have the balls the ATM 25 has...the ATM has tremendous Oomph much like an older MD421 without the delicate highs and the Audix is just a GREAT mic...click all day....my sources tell me the new D-6 is the real shit................In days past I used a Sennheiser MD409 in on the head and a D12E out in front....the results are the same either way...to get the Alex Van sound you simply add a bunch of 4K to the click

WTF?! I can't believe I haven't even heard of this guy yet!!! Tempting to snatch that guy-up even though I can't afford it! But at 5 wads, I'll hold-off for a year or two when the price drops significantly and there's some used ones floating around out there.

Back