Karma Trinity vs Blue Bluebird vs Blue Spark vs Rode NT1 vs Studio Projects B1 vs....

Which One?

• Karma Trinity

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Blue Bluebird

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Rode NT1a

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Studio Projects B1

• ADK A6

• Blue Spark

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Other [In my reply]

Votes: 2 25.0%

• Total voters

JSynthGuitarMan

Ok, hey there everybody, what's up?
This is my first post ever on this forum, requesting wisdom on my first condenser microphone.
So the deal is this. I'm picking gear for a basic recording setup, and pretty much everything is set except one thing, which is, obviously, the condenser mic.
I'm buying on budget with microphone range being from $100-$300. And I can't decide. So I came out here to ask all the mic experts a bunch of questions. Seriously, I mean a bunch.
Uses: Primarily, vocals and acoustic guitars.

1. I have put up a poll. This is just to find out what your choice would be.
2. Any opinions on the Karma Trinity? I can't find too much about Karma microphones, not many reviews, and it seems the only place to get it is at the Karma Microphone website. Opinions?
3. I was recommended to shy from the Blue Bluebird on another forum. It seemed to be the forumite's personal opinion, but what do you think?
4. The Blue Spark is another one on the list, how does it compare to the Bluebird and the others listed above?
5. [yes, I know these are a lot of questions, I did warn you... :) ] The Rode NT1a. I would personally prefer the other three over looks, but function over form, right? Opinions?
6. The Studio Projects B1- I was recommended against this on another forum as well. Thoughts?
7. The ADK A6. This was recommended, not too many reviews, but not as unfindable as the Karma.
8. And last, but not least, your own suggestions. Anything you can suggest that you find to be a well performing microphone.

Lastly, I may go to Guitar Center and see if I can try out some of the condensers there and see which one sounds best to me, but I know that, obviously, the Karma won't be there, but the Studio Projects B1 and the ADK A6 also will not be there, which nearly defeats the purpose.

So now, that I've made you waste all this time reading this, if you have any suggestions, opinions, choices, etc., that would be great.
Thanks!

Well, since I don't own all of them, I can't give an accurate opinion, but I do own the Blue Spark. Its a bright mic and is very clear. I use it to record everything and it seems pretty versatile. Definitely worth the money.

I'd either vote blue spark or, even better, cad m179. which is why I voted "other".

several of those are good mics. the spark is great but yes has a vocally-suited brightness to it. the cad m179 is more versatile yet still can work well on vocals but doens't soudn bad on anything at all. should be in your short list, and historically I recommend the cad as everyone's first condensor mic. it's a great learning/teaching mic and also one that you may never replace in your entire career.

The title reads like the ULTIMATE WWE SMACKDOWN...LIVE...haha

Only two I have any experience with are the Bluebird, I own it, and the the Rode, which is my go to condenser in my recording classes. The Rode you would probably like best. From what a lot of people say to me, the bluebird is really a love it or hate it mic, a lot of mixed feelings on it, I'd definitely suggest trying that one out before you buy it.

Another possible option; just throwing this out there, even though it's not a condenser, is the Shure sm7b. The thing is a work horse and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to record vocals, acoustic instruments, amps, pretty much anything with it.

I think the Rode is probably the most versatile of the group listed though, that'd be my choice if your dead set on those. Good for vocals, overheads for drums, room mics.

Never heard of Oktava.... any recommendations?
Still driving me crazy that nobody has anything to say about the Karmas.

Yes, the Rode seems to be well recommended, but I like the shape of the Bluebird and the Karma. I'm mostly set on the Karma because it's nicely priced, multi-pattern, and looks hot. But I haven't heard enough about, nor have anyway of testing it to make a final decision.

Ok, so I took a leap of faith, pretty much a blind jump off a cliff, and ordered the AKG c214.
Ended up having saved the exact amount that would leave exactly 400 for the mic, and picked it, having heard decent things about it.
I do hope this was not a foolish decision.

I can't imagine anyone being unhappy with a C214/C414 (but I'm a cellist and a baritone, so I might be biased! The Rode NT2A I used for studio sessions was not my choice! such is life as a session musician...)

Comparing them side by side, they could all sound quite different, but if all you have is an AKG, you won't complain. It's an industry standard (way more than the mics in the poll)

I'd either vote blue spark or, even better, cad m179. which is why I voted "other".

several of those are good mics. the spark is great but yes has a vocally-suited brightness to it. the cad m179 is more versatile yet still can work well on vocals but doens't soudn bad on anything at all. should be in your short list, and historically I recommend the cad as everyone's first condensor mic. it's a great learning/teaching mic and also one that you may never replace in your entire career.

The M179 seems to get the same utility/never fail rep as an SM57. Kind of the condensor equivalent (of sorts)

Back