Just had to say... Rode NT1A!!!

pikingrin

what is this?
I was at guitar center today, not really wanting to buy anything and I got started talking to this guy (not one of the "salesmen") about budget LDC's... The Rode NT1A came up quite a bit, low self noise, cheap(er) than the other quality mics they had on display, etc... So, I bought one. I just did a dry run with it against my other "vocal mic" (an MXL 990), and it is incredible!! Granted, it's not up against much, but still, I was hesitant to buy but it has already impressed me beyond all belief. But yes, just wanted to let you guys know... :D

P.S. If anyone is in my situation and is looking for a more affordable large diaphragm condenser, this one has my vote!! ;)

I have that mic, and I find it a bit harsh on vox. But hey, if it works for you then enjoy. :cool:

Chessrock will be along shortly to bash you and Rode! :D

MadAudio said:
I have that mic, and I find it a bit harsh on vox. But hey, if it works for you then enjoy. :cool:

Chessrock will be along shortly to bash you and Rode! :D
Well, bring it on! ;) I'm both impatient and broke, so I gotta make do... :D Other than that, thanks!

I'll have to check these out... I have an MXL 990 that I tried on vocals for the first time.... yeah, not too hot. I mean, it's clear and all, I A/B'd it against an SM57 and it had more clarity to my ears, but it's definitely not giving me a result that I'm happy with. I have it going into a Firebox. I've also heard good things about at AT 2020 as a decent sounding low-end priced mic for vocals.

i tried to buy one off my boss.. then he wouldnt sell it to me, the dick backed out!

yeah its definitley a nicer low priced mic. i really dont like the 990, but hey, for what, $50, i guess it's OK for the money.

Oh yeah, ya gets what ya pays for :-) I actually really like the 990 as an OH when mic'ing drums, on the floor tom side of the kit. For a cheap mic, it does that job *very* well.

I was just futzing with the EQ on the vocal tracks I recorded today and it's definitely better with the 990. With vocals though, I'd rather get a good sound going IN and tweak it a bit, rather than get a so-so sound in and then have to EQ the crap out of it.

DISCLAIMER - I was the one singing. I was once referred to as "The Fog Horn" by a choir director in school. No more need be said, other than GIGO :D

Hey, you're trying to follow in my footsteps aren't you.
I've gone from a 990 to an NT1A and now I'm experimenting with homebrew condenser mics!!!

990-to-nt1a : GIGANTIC improvement!

Hell, the 990 isn't even a true LDC!

i'm a big rode fan as well. i have a couple of nt1000's and had an ntk up until recently that i dug as well. i am prolly picking up another rode in the not too distant future as well. hooray rode!

I got to fiddle with an NTK.....to say the least, I'll be adding one to my arsenal sometime in the next few months.

Back