Just got a 'new' mic: Beyerdynamic M422 . let's talk...

ZPphreak

Hi Fellas,
I haven't been in the forums for a while because I've been working on building up my gear stash to help me learn.
Anyway, I just got my hands on a Beyerdynamic M422 N(C) microphone. I'm not sure of it's age but it's been in it's carrying bag for a while. I'm guessing it's a little over 10 years old. All of the documentation was also kept with the mic.

I'm trying to find out what you guys think about this mic. I already know that Tim Brown likes it, especially on snare and also on some cymbal work. I'm working on getting a set of mics to record drums so I think this might be a good addition but I'm eager to hear what others have to say about this microphone.

I've attached a picture of the microphone.
(taken by someone else but it's the same exact mic)

You forgot to attach the pic.

Hmmm...I looked on the Beyerdynamic website and he is what the .pdf said:

The M422 is optimized for use with snare drums, hi-hats, and cymbals. The small diaphram responds instantaneously to transients accurately capturing percussive attacks. Its super cardoid pattern and precisely tailored low frequency rolloff enhance the isolation of individual toms while reducing interference from the bass drum and floor tom. The small size of the m422 allow it to be placed anywhere around a drum without hampering the drummers freedom of movement. Its solid aluminium case handles the phsical abuse a drum set mic must endure.

Frequency Respnse: 100hz - 12000hz (not so impressive)

Sounds like you just bought youself a dedicated snare mic. I hope you didn't pay any more than $50. Otherwise I would get my money back if I were you. This mic has a limited frequency response and (to me) doesn't even pick enough of the high range to accurately capture cymbals or hi-hat.

I have never used the mic, so I could certainly be wrong. I am just going off the description and specs. I'd rather have an m201.

Beez

Last edited:
i personally have never met a beyer mic i didnt like

and those specs look pretty useful to me. pretty much the whole plot is a slow rise to 8k then a nice quick slope down from there.

i think it would be great for cymbals (i dont much like that over 8k stuff anyway except in small amounts).

might be pretty cool with vocals as well.

i would try micing the shell, as opposed to the skin though, as the mic looks pretty bright.

Thanks for the fast replies fellas. I've pretty much settled into the idea that what I got here is a snare mic. Of course, experimentation is eminent.
I also came across 4 AKG C408's as well.. kind of a package deal.. real cheap. I'll be asking ?'s about those later.. I don't have a drum kit.. I just want to be able to record them... that's where I'm moving right now with my gear.. I'm building up my gear closet so I can start practicing with actual bands and honing my mixing/tracking skills.

Again, thanks for your replies.

-Brent

-here's the pic i tried to attach last time.

Attachments

• m422 2.jpg
    m422 2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 691
Back