Josephson C42 matched pair vs Peluso CEMC6 matched pair?

GeorgeG3

Hi,

I am planning on recording some solo classical guitar for a CD project. My preamp will be: DAV BG-1

I would like to record the guitar with a matched pair of SDC mics which I still need to buy - my budget is less than $1,000.ºº for the two microphones. I will be recording onto computer hard drive, in a well treated room.

Unfortunately, I am not in a position to audition the microphones myself, so I must rely on reviews and personal recommendations. Any opinions or personal recommendations based on real experience with either the Josephson C42 or Peluso CEMC6 small diaphragm condensers specifically for solo classical guitar?

Either of these matched pairs are within my budget, and both the Josephson and Peluso seem to have glowing user comments.

Which pair would you recommend me to buy (for solo classical guitar recording), and why?

1. matched pair of Josephson C42 microphones: approx. $900

2. matched pair of Peluso CEMC6 Condenser Microphones (stereo kit): approx. $700

Any helpful comments or recommendations will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Pelusos sound great!

I haven't heard the Josephsons, but I own the Pelusos and they sound superb on acoustic instruments, and the interchangeable capsule are a plus. I don't think the Josephsons have this capability.

Cheers,

Dan

While I haven't owned either, I did give both a whirl, both for solo fngerstyle acoustic guitar and classical guitar. First, the Pelusos and the Josephsons are rather different sounding mics. The Pelusos will work well for classical. They are fairly flat repsonse, honest sounding mics - not too much color. The Josephsons have a HF bump, and are more colored sounding. "Creamy" describes them to my ears.

Another mic in you price range is a used pair of Microtech Gefell M300. Those are very nice too.

Thanks, guys. I will also look into the used Microtech Gefell M300, and the famous MSH-1A matched pair. I have a feeling the used Microtech Gefell M300 will be hard to find, since people probably don't ever want to sell them!
I will let you know if/when I make my decision. Please do feel free to make more suggestions in the meantime. Thanks!

Capsules

GeorgeG3 said:
Thank you, Dan. Which capsules would you recommend on the Pelusos for classical guitar?

If you have a nice sounding, well isolated room and a quiet computer get the omnis. Otherwise the cardioids as you will be able to position them better to avoid other sounds.

Cheers,

Dan

Back