Jeff Buckley

TheGuitarMan

Killer vocalist. I believe that he would sound like a god thru ANY mic. I was wondering though, does anybody know which mics he used to record vocals on his album "Grace" ???

...or were I could find this information.

You might want to look at the new "photo diary" book they have out; you might be able to tell by looking at the pictures of him in the studio. Nothing of use in the "Dream Brothers" book, which, although it was an interesting read, really seemed to pay little attention to the studio sessions.

Andy Wallace engineered and produced "Grace", and the whole thing sounds amazing (as does everything he produces). You might want to see if he has a website, or you could look for info on other bands he's produced/engineered (Shudder to Think, Fenix TX, Foo Fighters, etc), and see if you can find what kind of mics he used on them.

Also, if you want to hear what Jeff sounded like through crappy mics run through a 4-track, check out the second CD in the "My Sweetheart the Drunk" album. Although they're home recordings done with low-end equipment, the songs and vocals are still beautiful. Just goes to show that true talent can shine through the worst recordings.

It's a horrible shame he died. Still chokes me up when I think about it sometimes.

Ryan

RKID001 said:
jeff is definitely an amazing vocalist, he'd sound good through a computer mic

I have this mp3 of him singing on a radio show -- through the phone! They called him up and he was at a friend's house and the band in the studio.

They sang "I shall be released" -- AWESOME!! Actually the timbre and distortion of the phone added a cool effect.

Yeah, Jeff had an incredible voice. When I hear people like him (and Freddie Mercury), I want to forget about singing and recording and hide in a cave to spend the rest of my futile existence.

Actually, lately I've been wondering about what might have happened to him if he had lived. Would he have become a huge success?

In this day of the same boring corporate bands, and overdramatic R&B singers on American Idol, I think Jeff would have been a real standout. More originality, talent, and charisma than all the contestants on that show combined!

Back