isolation vocals

If you mean recording in a silent environment, then yes - I think it does. Even if it makes no difference to the singer, if you decide you want a clean sound and you have to de-noise a vocal track, the less de-noising you do, the better. Much better.

I've never had opportunity to use the best restoration software, but from what I've found, even mild de-noising affects the track. Breath sounds become raspy and heavy de-noising produces an 'interesting' glassy sound to the vocal itself and raises the comparative level of sibilants.

Unless you are going for those kind of effects, I suggest recording in the most silent environment possible.

If you mean recording in a sound-proofed booth separate from the band while the band plays, then I'd say maybe. Many of the best records ever were recorded live with the singer in the same room as the band.

If you mean overdubbing in a totally dry booth in order to avoid any room sound, than this will probably make a difference. The way I understand it, most records are cut that way these days. I've heard of guys making psuedo iso booths using towels draped over a wooden frame or something like that.

Nick The Man said:
cool i thought so ... thanks for the idea with the towels i might have to do that

Make a PVC pipe rectangle frame and drape movers blankets all over and around it. Make sure the design allows entrance from one of the sides. This will knowck down all weird reflections. Add reverb later to taste.

Back