interface or mic suggestions

mrNobody

hiya,

i use a AT2035 and a focusrite solo gen 2.

i mostly use it for twitch streams and it works fine other than having to unplug it and plug it back in when it randomly glitches, im looking to upgrade and was hoping for suggestions.

i would like maybe some interface level mixing features or software that i can tweek my audio adjust the noisegate etc

overall just looking for better options / quality than i currently have

any help is appreciated :)

The "glitches" are hard to understand. Unplugging and plugging back in suggests a driver problem to me, though, of course, hardware could be a problem. It would help to know what system/specs + OS you're using, and what, if any, optimizations you've done to make audio processing less prone to disruptions.

I'm not familiar with "twitch" and whether you want something that will be used in recording, live streaming, or both.

Interfaces with built-in DSP are few, if that's what you are looking for. Most home recorders do not use those, I'd guess, though some do use outboard processing, like EQ, compressors, maybe even noise gates, before A/D. This requires a different kind device or an additional mic preamp that is at the head of the chain. It gets more complex, and more expensive, of course.

You can use plugins in your DAW for those FX, but whether you can use those in a streaming scenario depends on the FX you must have, and tolerance for latency.

"i would like maybe some interface level "MIXing" features or software that i can tweek my audio adjust the noisegate etc "

Often "the answer is in the question ^! Look at USB mixers..BUT! Only the latest products. The early mixers were only 16 bits and usually locked to 48kHz*. That would not have been SO bad but they all, AFAICT suffered the dreaded "USB 16 bit mixer whine" New versions have 24 bit converters and as good as regular AIs.

Do note however that how much of the FX in such mixers is actually routed to the USB feed is difficult to determine? In other words, your headphone feed might have EQ and gating in it but the USB recording obstinately "dry".

Get the exact ideas down on qwerty and the email the various mixer makers. A&H, Soundcraft, Yamaha, Mackie etc. You might have a bit of a fight on your hands to get sensible answers. Chits of girls (or guys!) tend to man the sales desks these days. Paid peanuts and know about as much as monkeys.

*Tho' not in itself a bad thing.

Dave.

since posting this i have tried out software i found "reaper" and its working amazingly well, is there better software than this though? im using it to add an additional gate / comp and EQ to my live mic

as for the glitches i noticed there is a driver update with bug fixes il give that a go later today

since posting this i have tried out software i found "reaper" and its working amazingly well, is there better software than this though? im using it to add an additional gate / comp and EQ to my live mic

as for the glitches i noticed there is a driver update with bug fixes il give that a go later today
Basically, all DAWs like Reaper have the same features that you are using. Some folks have a preference but once you get used to one, if it's working for you, then there's usually no reason to change, unless they stop supporting it. Reaper is well liked and has a large user base with good online support, too.

If the driver update doesn't solve the problem, try to make sure there's nothing else running in the background, and see if you can identify any specific thing you're doing that always causes the problem.

Basically, all DAWs like Reaper have the same features that you are using. Some folks have a preference but once you get used to one, if it's working for you, then there's usually no reason to change, unless they stop supporting it. Reaper is well liked and has a large user base with good online support, too.

If the driver update doesn't solve the problem, try to make sure there's nothing else running in the background, and see if you can identify any specific thing you're doing that always causes the problem.

what other ones are there? id like to try a few that do what im using reaper for before deciding

Most will do this if you really want them to, but it's not an ideal situation. Many DAWs are just not optimised for thru audio. some interrupt the audio when you switch features. Others have quite poor latency when you stack processing, but compensate for this on playback. You could mix live on Cubase (my favourite DAW) but I'd never do it. Opening a VSTi or adding a reverb always mutes the audio for a brief moment while it initialises - no good for live work.

Most will do this if you really want them to, but it's not an ideal situation. Many DAWs are just not optimised for thru audio. some interrupt the audio when you switch features. Others have quite poor latency when you stack processing, but compensate for this on playback. You could mix live on Cubase (my favourite DAW) but I'd never do it. Opening a VSTi or adding a reverb always mutes the audio for a brief moment while it initialises - no good for live work.

hmm, im mostly just using it for a noisegate and comp. also it boosts my gain up without using the gain knob on my interface which i find makes me sound alot clearer.

but if it will cause issues i might just stop using it

noticed cubase has a trial, il give it a go, which version should i go for?

For what you seem to want to do.......live steaming........a DAW might not really be your answer.....especially if you want to adjust on the fly. I'm assuming your budget is keeping you from getting a small digital mixer. Ebay or the like should offer used small mixers with all the effects you've already mentioned.......at a pretty low price. Of course.......you'd need one that accepts a USB mic.

For what you seem to want to do.......live steaming........a DAW might not really be your answer.....especially if you want to adjust on the fly. I'm assuming your budget is keeping you from getting a small digital mixer. Ebay or the like should offer used small mixers with all the effects you've already mentioned.......at a pretty low price. Of course.......you'd need one that accepts a USB mic.

I shall apologise if you find me one Mick' but I have never heard of a mixer or AI that accepts "usb" microphone? Typo? I have already said that I think the OP need a modern, 24 bit USB mixer but MUST check the USB FX routing.

Dave.

Hi Dave......how about the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer? Do you think that might work? It’s certainly cheap.

Hi Dave......how about the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer? Do you think that might work? It’s certainly cheap.

Well it might but it is an older design, 16bit job, does not have on board FX either. The need I think is for something with "per channel" compressor etc?

As has been said, you CAN do this via a DAW and an AI but for live work latency and other problems really rule it out.

Dave.

If you wanna go live, check out SAWSTUDIO, designed by Bob Lentini at RML LABS, in Vegas, NV. This will record and has a really nice user interface mixer. The Basic is the least expensive, if he still sells it. You can get the latency down low with a Intel Duo Core, high clock speed, a lot of memory, fast 7200rpm HD or ssd. His 64 bit program is out now. He has a program called SAC, which is the same GUI, for PA purposes. It does not have recording. Many many sound engineers use it live in clubs and concerts. SAWSTUDIO will do the same plus record. lots of info here: google SAWSTUDIO or the alternative is WAVES, much more expensive. The converters suggested are...well read the website and SAC and SAWSTUDIO forms for USER info and setup. It will be bucks, but Behringer is used successfully and depending on program you choose, it will be less than the cost of a good computer. It is extremely stable. I have used it for years. I had it up and running tonight with my Antelope Zen (usb). I ran it for 6 hrs straight (SAWSTUDIO64) today without stopping at 24bits/96k. This should give you enough info to research for yourself. Good Luck, but instead of jack around...put a little money together...you will be very very happy for a long long time...seriously, no lies.

You can look at something like the Yamaha MG10XU mixer. A new one is $200 and it has compressors on two mic channels, plus reverbs etc on the effects. It has USB outputs for your computer plus regular audio outputs.

I don't know of any standalone mixers that have noise gates built in, especially at the low end of the price spectrum.

Back