Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: interface or mic suggestions

Thanks

interface or mic suggestions

Sign in to disable this ad
    hiya,

i use a AT2035 and a focusrite solo gen 2.

i mostly use it for twitch streams and it works fine other than having to unplug it and plug it back in when it randomly glitches, im looking to upgrade and was hoping for suggestions.

i would like maybe some interface level mixing features or software that i can tweek my audio adjust the noisegate etc

overall just looking for better options / quality than i currently have

any help is appreciated

Thanks
    no one?

Thanks
    The "glitches" are hard to understand. Unplugging and plugging back in suggests a driver problem to me, though, of course, hardware could be a problem. It would help to know what system/specs + OS you're using, and what, if any, optimizations you've done to make audio processing less prone to disruptions.

I'm not familiar with "twitch" and whether you want something that will be used in recording, live streaming, or both.

Interfaces with built-in DSP are few, if that's what you are looking for. Most home recorders do not use those, I'd guess, though some do use outboard processing, like EQ, compressors, maybe even noise gates, before A/D. This requires a different kind device or an additional mic preamp that is at the head of the chain. It gets more complex, and more expensive, of course.

You can use plugins in your DAW for those FX, but whether you can use those in a streaming scenario depends on the FX you must have, and tolerance for latency.
    "... I know in the mornin' that it's gonna be good
    when I stick out my elbows and they don't bump wood." - Bill Kirchen

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    "i would like maybe some interface level "MIXing" features or software that i can tweek my audio adjust the noisegate etc "

Often "the answer is in the question ^! Look at USB mixers..BUT! Only the latest products. The early mixers were only 16 bits and usually locked to 48kHz*. That would not have been SO bad but they all, AFAICT suffered the dreaded "USB 16 bit mixer whine" New versions have 24 bit converters and as good as regular AIs.

Do note however that how much of the FX in such mixers is actually routed to the USB feed is difficult to determine? In other words, your headphone feed might have EQ and gating in it but the USB recording obstinately "dry".

Get the exact ideas down on qwerty and the email the various mixer makers. A&H, Soundcraft, Yamaha, Mackie etc. You might have a bit of a fight on your hands to get sensible answers. Chits of girls (or guys!) tend to man the sales desks these days. Paid peanuts and know about as much as monkeys.

*Tho' not in itself a bad thing.

Dave.

Thanks
    since posting this i have tried out software i found "reaper" and its working amazingly well, is there better software than this though? im using it to add an additional gate / comp and EQ to my live mic

as for the glitches i noticed there is a driver update with bug fixes il give that a go later today

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrNobody View Post
    since posting this i have tried out software i found "reaper" and its working amazingly well, is there better software than this though? im using it to add an additional gate / comp and EQ to my live mic

as for the glitches i noticed there is a driver update with bug fixes il give that a go later today
    Basically, all DAWs like Reaper have the same features that you are using. Some folks have a preference but once you get used to one, if it's working for you, then there's usually no reason to change, unless they stop supporting it. Reaper is well liked and has a large user base with good online support, too.

If the driver update doesn't solve the problem, try to make sure there's nothing else running in the background, and see if you can identify any specific thing you're doing that always causes the problem.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Basically, all DAWs like Reaper have the same features that you are using. Some folks have a preference but once you get used to one, if it's working for you, then there's usually no reason to change, unless they stop supporting it. Reaper is well liked and has a large user base with good online support, too.

If the driver update doesn't solve the problem, try to make sure there's nothing else running in the background, and see if you can identify any specific thing you're doing that always causes the problem.
    what other ones are there? id like to try a few that do what im using reaper for before deciding

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mrNobody View Post
    what other ones are there? id like to try a few that do what im using reaper for before deciding
    Here's a long list:

Digital audio workstation - Wikipedia

Not all of those will run on every OS or have trial versions. You'll have to do your research. (I'm just a Mac guy who has only ever used GarageBand and Logic Pro X.)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by keith.rogers View Post
    Here's a long list:

Digital audio workstation - Wikipedia

Not all of those will run on every OS or have trial versions. You'll have to do your research. (I'm just a Mac guy who has only ever used GarageBand and Logic Pro X.)
    thanks

does all of those work on live mics outputted? essentially adding the effects live rather than just to a recording?

Thanks
    Most will do this if you really want them to, but it's not an ideal situation. Many DAWs are just not optimised for thru audio. some interrupt the audio when you switch features. Others have quite poor latency when you stack processing, but compensate for this on playback. You could mix live on Cubase (my favourite DAW) but I'd never do it. Opening a VSTi or adding a reverb always mutes the audio for a brief moment while it initialises - no good for live work.

Thread Information