Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: interface or mic suggestions

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Most will do this if you really want them to, but it's not an ideal situation. Many DAWs are just not optimised for thru audio. some interrupt the audio when you switch features. Others have quite poor latency when you stack processing, but compensate for this on playback. You could mix live on Cubase (my favourite DAW) but I'd never do it. Opening a VSTi or adding a reverb always mutes the audio for a brief moment while it initialises - no good for live work.
    hmm, im mostly just using it for a noisegate and comp. also it boosts my gain up without using the gain knob on my interface which i find makes me sound alot clearer.

but if it will cause issues i might just stop using it

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rob aylestone View Post
    Most will do this if you really want them to, but it's not an ideal situation. Many DAWs are just not optimised for thru audio. some interrupt the audio when you switch features. Others have quite poor latency when you stack processing, but compensate for this on playback. You could mix live on Cubase (my favourite DAW) but I'd never do it. Opening a VSTi or adding a reverb always mutes the audio for a brief moment while it initialises - no good for live work.

noticed cubase has a trial, il give it a go, which version should i go for?

Thanks
    Probably one of the cut down versions might do? Artist 10 is a safe bet.

Thanks
    For what you seem to want to do.......live steaming........a DAW might not really be your answer.....especially if you want to adjust on the fly. I'm assuming your budget is keeping you from getting a small digital mixer. Ebay or the like should offer used small mixers with all the effects you've already mentioned.......at a pretty low price. Of course.......you'd need one that accepts a USB mic.
    Just A Song Writer..........

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    For what you seem to want to do.......live steaming........a DAW might not really be your answer.....especially if you want to adjust on the fly. I'm assuming your budget is keeping you from getting a small digital mixer. Ebay or the like should offer used small mixers with all the effects you've already mentioned.......at a pretty low price. Of course.......you'd need one that accepts a USB mic.
    I shall apologise if you find me one Mick' but I have never heard of a mixer or AI that accepts "usb" microphone? Typo? I have already said that I think the OP need a modern, 24 bit USB mixer but MUST check the USB FX routing.

Dave.

Thanks
    Hi Dave......how about the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer? Do you think that might work? It’s certainly cheap.
    Just A Song Writer..........

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mickster View Post
    Hi Dave......how about the Behringer Xenyx Q802USB mixer? Do you think that might work? It’s certainly cheap.
    Well it might but it is an older design, 16bit job, does not have on board FX either. The need I think is for something with "per channel" compressor etc?

As has been said, you CAN do this via a DAW and an AI but for live work latency and other problems really rule it out.

Dave.

Thanks
    If you wanna go live, check out SAWSTUDIO, designed by Bob Lentini at RML LABS, in Vegas, NV. This will record and has a really nice user interface mixer. The Basic is the least expensive, if he still sells it. You can get the latency down low with a Intel Duo Core, high clock speed, a lot of memory, fast 7200rpm HD or ssd. His 64 bit program is out now. He has a program called SAC, which is the same GUI, for PA purposes. It does not have recording. Many many sound engineers use it live in clubs and concerts. SAWSTUDIO will do the same plus record. lots of info here: google SAWSTUDIO or the alternative is WAVES, much more expensive. The converters suggested are...well read the website and SAC and SAWSTUDIO forms for USER info and setup. It will be bucks, but Behringer is used successfully and depending on program you choose, it will be less than the cost of a good computer. It is extremely stable. I have used it for years. I had it up and running tonight with my Antelope Zen (usb). I ran it for 6 hrs straight (SAWSTUDIO64) today without stopping at 24bits/96k. This should give you enough info to research for yourself. Good Luck, but instead of jack around...put a little money together...you will be very very happy for a long long time...seriously, no lies.

Thanks
    You can look at something like the Yamaha MG10XU mixer. A new one is $200 and it has compressors on two mic channels, plus reverbs etc on the effects. It has USB outputs for your computer plus regular audio outputs.

I don't know of any standalone mixers that have noise gates built in, especially at the low end of the price spectrum.

Thanks
    as below
    Last edited by mrNobody; 07-10-2019 at 05:17.

Thread Information