Impulse buy...

Webb

Just wanted to share my excitement. I just purchased an Audio Technica AT4060 on eBay for $550 with free shipping. I didn't have much time to do any research, as this was purely a Buy-It-Now impulse buy, but I'm guessing this is a pretty good deal?

I'm currently using an MXL992...so I'm assuming this will be a significant upgrade? My preamp is the Groove Tubes Brick.

Well that excitement was short-lived. Just got this message from the seller:

>>>I have refunded your money for the AT4060 microphone. The reason for
this is when I relisted the mic and revised the listing I forgot to change the quantity to 1 microphone. (though I did state it in the revised description
there was only 1 left) Someone bought the microphone before you with Buy it Now so I must let it go to the earlier bidder. I sincerely aplogize for any incovenience here. I have never made this kind of mistake on ebay before.
So again I apologize. If you are charged any extra PayPal fees for this
transaction I will refund you those. <<<<

Weak! :mad:

Well, if you decide you decide you want to buy one new, 8th Street has an open box listing for $700 new according to Froogle, though it doesn't show up on their web site anymore. That probably tells you that you could talk Guitar Center or your local music store down to somewhere close to that; 8th Street is not going to sell one at a loss even with an open box....

In the rare cases where they show up on eBay and actually sell, they sell for about $600, but most of them don't get bid up past about $400 (and don't meet the seller's reserve). The ones listed at over $600 almost never sell.

Based on that, $550 for a used one is an okay deal, but I wouldn't call it spectacular. It's just unfortunate that 90% of the listings have such a high reserve that they don't sell. You'd think the sellers would figure that out and lower their reserve to something closer to the product's actual value, but that isn't happening. Oh well.

...no doubt the 4060 is a sweet mic BUT there are some other tube condensers that are (IMHO) in the same class for less money...

...check out the Rode K2 (good price here):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rode-K2-LIKE-NE...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...or the Studio Projects T3 (a Harvey Gerst favorite):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Projects...ryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...I've used all three mics and frankly, I prefer the K2 with an upgraded NOS tube (it has the lowest "noise" factor and the least "colored" sound of all three), but that's just my $.02... ;)

***one other mic that has been getting stellar reviews (although I've not used one as yet) is M-Audio's Sputnik...also goes for around $550...
http://cgi.ebay.com/M-Audio-Sputnik...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

kidvybes said:
...no doubt the 4060 is a sweet mic BUT there are some other tube condensers that are (IMHO) in the same class for less money...

...check out the Rode K2 (good price here):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Rode-K2-LIKE-NE...ryZ41466QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

...or the Studio Projects T3 (a Harvey Gerst favorite):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Studio-Projects...ryZ15198QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

You gotta' be kidding me. The 4060 is a professional tool. The others you listed are just kind of fun toys to play around with, and that look cute on a mic stand.

chessrock said:
You gotta' be kidding me. The 4060 is a professional tool. The others you listed are just kind of fun toys to play around with, and that look cute on a mic stand.

...granted the 4060 is a well respected piece of equipment, but have YOU used the other mics?...I have...so my opinion is based on experience with all three products...your's Chess (as usual) is based on the premise that anything made by Shure or Audio Technica has gotta be better than any of the "other" brands (namely Chinese or in this case Australian product)...

...that assumption is old and outdated...I sold my 4050 in favor of another "import" mic for a similar reason (the AT mics were being passed over in my studio when A/B'd against some of these other mics)...if it sounds good, it IS good, regardless of the name on the mic...I use (and recommend) what works for me and the artists I work with...

...here's someone who had a similar opinion when comparing the K2 and 4060:
http://www.studioreviews.com/rodeK2.htm

If you're still looking for a good mic in a lower price range, try to find a used MXL V77. I preferred the V77 to the SP T3, which is a little bit more expensive.

I've used a Pearlman TM-1, U87s, a U47, VIP-50, and some other high-end mics, and I can honestly say that the V77 is a quality piece of gear, regardless of its price.

They should run around $200-300.

kidvybes said:
your's Chess (as usual) is based on the premise that anything made by Shure or Audio Technica has gotta be better than any of the "other" brands (namely Chinese or in this case Australian product)...

According to whom? Where are you getting this information from? An assumption? I think if anyone is making a blind assumption, it's you.

...here's someone who had a similar opinion when comparing the K2 and 4060:
http://www.studioreviews.com/rodeK2.htm

And just who is this assclown of a reviewer? Any idiot can throw a review on the web and pretend it means something. I want to know this guy's qualifications before I start proclaiming him some mic guru. I gave my opinion on this subject, and it's based on direct experience with just about all of the Shure and Audio Technica line ... along with the 797 and Shanghai product line, including the T3 and v77.

And although you got me on the Rode thing ... I've had enough experience with just about any and every Rode product to say with strong confidence and conviction that if it says "Rode" anywhere on the mic, it's a good bet that it's complete crap. I'll take my chances with that assumption and play the odds on it any day. I honestly don't think that company is capable of making a product that isn't a complete pile of worthless crap and I've got a 99.99999% chance of being right.

If they've somehow magically stumbled upon a great-sounding mic after all of these years in operation, then I'll only assume it was completely by accident. And I will also assume that once the positive reviews are out ... they will change the capsule along with the rest of the design in an effort to manufacture it cheaper. This company has a history of doing this, so if you're interested, you better buy now, because none of the Rodes, after the first batch, are going to be the same.

In fact, I'd almost bet the reviewers receive a special limited edition version, if you catch my drift. And although I do apologize for these particular assumptions, again, I'll take my chances with them.

chessrock said:

I don't think Harvey thinks the T3 is a toy...... Frankly, if he thinks it's a good mic, that's all I need to know......

bilco

Perhaps I should re-phrase; the T-3 is a pretty worthwhile mic for the money. But in comparison to a 4060 ... it's a toy. In comparison to other mics in it's price class ... yea, it's great.

And just because Harvey likes it doesn't automatically mean it's great. I've seen the guy recommend at least a few duds. I've recommended a dud or two myself, so don't take my word as law, either. :D But the T3 isn't a dud, so I didn't mean to give that impression.

chessrock said:
Perhaps I should re-phrase; the T-3 is a pretty worthwhile mic for the money. But in comparison to a 4060 ... it's a toy. In comparison to other mics in it's price class ... yea, it's great.

And just because Harvey likes it doesn't automatically mean it's great. I've seen the guy recommend at least a few duds. I've recommended a dud or two myself, so don't take my word as law, either. :D But the T3 isn't a dud, so I didn't mean to give that impression.

One helpful thing is to find people with great expertise and experience who are willing to share their opinions and whose recording aesthetic, approach and goals are similar to your own. For example, I've been pestering David Josephson for guidance for about a decade now because he has great expertise with a wide range of microphones, preamps and recorders and he strives for accurate recording, which is the way I usually prefer to operate. So his opinions are a reliable guide for me. Many people have a different recording aesthetic and what works for them may not be right for me and vice versa.

Cheers,

Otto

chessrock said:
According to whom? Where are you getting this information from?

...from reading your last 1500 or so posts...as a matter of fact, you and I have had this same discussion a dozen or so times...no worries...I stand by my remarks referring to the 4060, K2 and T3...all useful and high quality tools...some are just a better "value" based on cost verses performance... ;)

...and your "Rode rant" borders on complete nonsense...not even worthy of a reply... :D

I have to agree with Chessrock on the Rode Mics opinion. I've had or used most of them at some point. I never found any of them to have that smooth creamy top end on vox but that's just me and to other ears Rode's may be the greatest mics on earth.

The AT 4060 is okay but that's about it, okay and not great to my ears. I bought one when they first came out and at first thought it was great but after listening to the vox in a mix on 4 different vocalists I changed my opinion to it's okay and not great.

The T3 would be my pick out of the three mics listed in this thread and is the smoothest of them all after swapping the tube out IMHO. All of the above mics would work well for most home recordist's though.

If the budget gets above the 1K range then check out Peluso's and Pearlman's. Fantastic vocal mics IMHO.

ljmaxx said:
If the budget gets above the 1K range then check out Peluso's and Pearlman's. Fantastic vocal mics IMHO.

ljmaxx said:
B.L.U.E. Blueberry in aluminum case with Kiwi Cable ................. $600.00

Peluso 22-47 as new 15 minutes of use ................................. $900.00

The prices on both mics include shipping to the lower 48. I'm going to sell one of the two so whichever sells first the other mic will no longer be available.
PM or email me at ljmax at earthlink dot net if interested. Thanks for looking.
Jim

...then why sell the Peluso after only 15 minutes of use?... :confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmaxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljmaxx
B.L.U.E. Blueberry in aluminum case with Kiwi Cable ................. $600.00

Peluso 22-47 as new 15 minutes of use ................................. $900.00

The prices on both mics include shipping to the lower 48. I'm going to sell one of the two so whichever sells first the other mic will no longer be available.
PM or email me at ljmax at earthlink dot net if interested. Thanks for looking.
Jim

kidvybes said:
...then why sell the Peluso after only 15 minutes of use?... :confused:

I sold the 2247 to upgrade to the 2247LE not that I have to explain why I sold the 2247. If you search hard enough you'll also find that I sold the Peluso 22 251, Blue Dragonfly, Baby Bottle, & Blueberry. I'm also going to sell a Cascade V55 which is a great mic and an original CAD E300 but I don't use them so why let them sit when someone else "can" use them?

Good detective work anyway. :)

chessrock said:
I hafta disagree with that; it's a pretty damn nice mic for lots of applications, and far from being "a toy".

chessrock said:
Here, we agree. As I've said many times, "mics don't know what they're recording". Over the years here, I've tried to spend most of my time trying to explain how mics work, and how to use them, rather than make a lot of specific mic recommendations. The mic is part of a chain, which includes the instrument, the room, the preamp, and the player. All these things will influence the results. I've also said that "mic placement is often more important than mic selection". That's still very true.

I've put up MP3's here, showing what an ECM8000, or an MXL603 can do. I've done whole songs with just a Neumann TLM103 when they first came out. I've shown people how to match mics without test equipment; how to make inexpensive phantom power supplies, pushed people to try omnis and ribbons, and hopefully contributed more here than making people waste their time reading my posts.

If I've recommended a mic in the past, it's because it filled a particular need, did the job well, and/or represent a good value. I always try to point out any upsides and downsides to using any mic I recommend. Audio Technica makes some decent mics - and some not so decent mics; so does Sennheiser and Neumann.

And finally, I'm not a god, making pronouncements from some mountain top; I talk to a lot of major league people in the industry about the mics I recommend - before I recommend them. I'm not gonna name drop, but they're mostly all multi-Grammy winners, with decades of recording experience between them.

But Chess is right; just because I like a particular mic doesn't mean it will be the best choice for your application, and your recording chain. (But it probably won't be a "bad" choice, either.) As Fletcher would say, "YMMV".

ljmaxx said:
Good detective work anyway. :)

...Jim...just bustin' chops...I knew you had good reason...thanks for the explanation... ;)

Harvey Gerst said:
I hafta disagree with that; it's (the T3) a pretty damn nice mic for lots of applications, and far from being "a toy".

...as always, the voice of reason...thanks HG...

Back