I'm not Shure

tdukex

Man of the Muse
Has anyone ever heard of, used, or care to render an opinion on the following mics:

1) Shure 545SD (the Shure Website says it's a dual-impedance, unidirectional, dynamic mic that is "a favorite for instrument pickup and recording and can be used for PAs")--looks a lot like an SM57

2) University Sound US664A dynamic supercardioid (can't find anything about this one)

grahamware, I purchased two of the 545s for $10 each at a swap meet almost four years ago and posted that question in November 1999 when I was first starting out. :D

The 545 is an excellent mic in its own right. Although the 545 was designed for podium use, it has a frequency response and polar pattern that are very close to the 57. In fact, the two mics are so similar in performance that I have been advised by experienced recordists that to purchase a 57 would be redundant. The 545 is actually a very cool mic.

DJL, thanks for the links.

"The great EV664A is now being manufactured as the
US664A... "

So, it's a rebadged EV664A. Not bad. This mic is actually pretty heavy duty and is solid polished alum. Very solid. Very shiney. I used it on a blues vocal a couple of weeks ago because it had just the right balance of forwardness and grit I was looking for on that particular song.

These guys have a couple of 'em.
http://www.exocetstudios.com/

Your welcome, and yeah it's a rebadged EV664A.... so tell me, what did you pay for the US664A?

DJL, this was another swap meet find back in '99. I think I paid $10 - $15 for it as well, not even knowing what the hell I was doing. I haven't been to a swap meet in years. Maybe I should go back and maybe find an old U87 for $40. :D

...and then he woke up.

The Shure 545 series was a favorite of Blues harmonica players like
Paul Butterfield, and Little Walter.
It was also used on a number of Beach Boys hits for their lead vocal.

On vocals (just got a 545), it's more bluesy/gritty than a
SM57. Will be my first try for blues based stuff now.
Still love the SM57 on pop/rock stuff though.

Chris

Back