Thread: I'm not Shure

Thanks

Wink

Sign in to disable this ad
    Has anyone ever heard of, used, or care to render an opinion on the following mics:

1) Shure 545SD (the Shure Website says it's a dual-impedance, unidirectional, dynamic mic that is "a favorite for instrument pickup and recording and can be used for PAs")--looks a lot like an SM57

2) University Sound US664A dynamic supercardioid (can't find anything about this one)

Bend, Oregon, USA, Earth(a small dirt ball in space covered with ant like creatures running around)
    Thanks

Wink

If your looking for a good all around mic get a shure Beta 58 they are the industry standard for stage proformance and they sound great even in a studio! you can get one find them for a little over $100 but they list about $340

Thanks
    Rather than getting a mic that looks like a 57, just get a 57.

Thanks
    Originally posted by tdukex
    2) University Sound US664A dynamic supercardioid (can't find anything about this one)
    I found this http://mailman.listserve.com/archive.../msg05495.html which lead me to this http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...59-1&q=EV+664A
    One of the things I like the most about hr.com is reading what everyday people like you and I have experienced with products as opposed to reading what the manufacturers want us to read about their products.

Thanks
    grahamware, I purchased two of the 545s for $10 each at a swap meet almost four years ago and posted that question in November 1999 when I was first starting out.

The 545 is an excellent mic in its own right. Although the 545 was designed for podium use, it has a frequency response and polar pattern that are very close to the 57. In fact, the two mics are so similar in performance that I have been advised by experienced recordists that to purchase a 57 would be redundant. The 545 is actually a very cool mic.

DJL, thanks for the links.

"The great EV664A is now being manufactured as the
    US664A... "

So, it's a rebadged EV664A. Not bad. This mic is actually pretty heavy duty and is solid polished alum. Very solid. Very shiney. I used it on a blues vocal a couple of weeks ago because it had just the right balance of forwardness and grit I was looking for on that particular song.

These guys have a couple of 'em.
    http://www.exocetstudios.com/

Thanks
    Your welcome, and yeah it's a rebadged EV664A.... so tell me, what did you pay for the US664A?
    One of the things I like the most about hr.com is reading what everyday people like you and I have experienced with products as opposed to reading what the manufacturers want us to read about their products.

Thanks
    DJL, this was another swap meet find back in '99. I think I paid $10 - $15 for it as well, not even knowing what the hell I was doing. I haven't been to a swap meet in years. Maybe I should go back and maybe find an old U87 for $40.

...and then he woke up.

Thanks
    :cool Man, too bad you didn't get that sellers phone number.

Thanks
    The Shure 545 series was a favorite of Blues harmonica players like
    Paul Butterfield, and Little Walter.
    It was also used on a number of Beach Boys hits for their lead vocal.

On vocals (just got a 545), it's more bluesy/gritty than a
    SM57. Will be my first try for blues based stuff now.
    Still love the SM57 on pop/rock stuff though.

Chris

Thread Information