Identifying cables without tags

composition4

Hmm, I have a whole bunch of good cables I've made up, and put sorta "cable flags" on them, so I could identify them between one another. I've since found that these really get in the way more than anything, and wish I had just put different colours of a bit of heatshrink tubing on each end before I soldered the ends on.

Any suggestions as to how to identify cables without tags? Theres a LOT of cable, so I'm NOT going to desolder an end and put the heatshrink tubing on.

The best thing I can think of is getting different coloured electrical tapes and wrapping a bit of that around the cable near the connector.. but I think it'd just come off sooner rather than later, and get all messy.

Any suggestions?

I tape little pieces of paper with numbers on them on the XLRs and/or TRS connectors. Use the same number on each end. Then, for example, cable #1 goes from here to there, cable #2 goes.... The problem with this method is that you have to remember (or rediscover) where the other end of cable #1 goes. If the cable is installed in a more or less permanent configuration, this doesn't matter much. If you're having to connect, disconnect and reconnect things alot it takes a bit more sluething, but then you might just need a patchbay.

i use colored hockey stick tape. it sticks better than electical tape (and leaves less gooey residue), and it's FAR superior to those labeller labels in terms of staying put.

and it's pretty cheap, and takes to a fine point sharpie pretty well. AND it won't come off during a gig in the rain. :D

some of that painter's tape works well too, if you wrap it around the xlr connectors (rather than around the mic cable itself).

cheers,
wade

Usually the cable itself says Belden Instrument Cable or ProCo Speaker Cable on it or something along those lines. Failing that (and what I usually do) is unscrew the end and look at it. Does it have two insulated conductors? If yes, it is speaker cable. Does it have an uninsulated shield (bare wire) and a center conductor? Then it is instrument cable.

bubbagump said:
Usually the cable itself says

i think he meant in terms of which cable is cable #1, #2, etc. when you're running a dozen cables to a drumset, it's nice to know which cable is which. :D

cheers,
wade

Knots...you could use knots...put one knot on each end of cable #1, then two knots on each end of cable #2 and three knots...so on and so on. :eek:

Sorry...couldn't resist.

You can purchase self laminating label stock from Panduit (through Graybar). It's pretty spendy but, you wrap it around the cable and when it's done, there's no flag hanging out and the printed info you put on it is protected.

Check this link http://www.panduit.com/search/search_results.asp?N=5000001+365&Ne=1&region=USA&Nu=P_RollupKey

It comes in sheets...you put it in your printer (I use a laser jet). Print out a sheet and voila. Pull the clear label stock off it's backing sheet, wrap it around the cable and you're done.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Punkin, I've tied tying knots in the cables but then the track is all muffled because the sound can't get through the knots properly, kinda like when you've got a kink in a hose. Am I making the knot too tight?

:)

composition4 said:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Punkin, I've tied tying knots in the cables but then the track is all muffled because the sound can't get through the knots properly, kinda like when you've got a kink in a hose. Am I making the knot too tight?

:)

Def-nit-ly too tight but, the self laminating cable label stock is great.

I use these zip-tie things with molded on label plates, and a Sharpie. I also put the length of the cable on the label. ;)
You can get them at Fry's. Hundereds of them fro a few bucks if I remember.
In different colors too. All mine are a neon green, making them quick and easy to see and distinguish from some one elses cables. That way someone is less likely to wals away with my cables.

Attachments

• p1383a.jpg
    p1383a.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 38
Back