I need a microphone

BabyfaceMC

Hey guys!

I'm new on this forum. I need help so I'm glad I found you! I really love this forum.

Could you please recommend me a studio mic for vocals? Around 150 or 200 dollars.
I'm really new and I don't know what specifications do I need to look for. For example, the response frequency is important? Would it be 20-20Hz or it has to be higher/lower? If so, what else?

What brand/model do you think it's the best?
Thank you much in advance! :)

I got the Blue Spark from Musicians Friend for $189, came with shock mount, pop screen, XLR cable in a nice wood box plus free ship. Sounds really good for that price and is versatile!

I see them on evilbay all of the time now for about half to three quarters of their original price! Purchasing used is always best. ;)

I agree with buying used on all equipment you can EXCEPT Microphones! Best to have warrantied and clean microphones! Plus there are a lot of chinese scams going on out there. A friend thought he could save some money when equipping his studio by buying a lot of 10 SM58s on Ebay and got all cheap chinese knockoffs! They are awful! Not worth the risk unless you're going for a vintage Neumann, Sennheiser or RCA, etc.

Just my 2¢.

With the way that ebay is set up now a days and paying through paypal you have the ultimate protection when purchasing.
It is very easy to disinfect a microphone.

Hey guys!

I'm new on this forum. I need help so I'm glad I found you! I really love this forum.

I'm really new and I don't know what specifications do I need to look for. For example, the response frequency is important? Would it be 20-20Hz or it has to be higher/lower? If so, what else?

Just as an aside, you really can't judge a mic simply by specs. Yes, I'd expect to see a frequency response of of something like 20-20kHz but, without an extra phrase like "=/- 3dB" it's pretty meaningless and, even then without a graph to see where the peaks and low bits are you still can't even guess at what the sound will be like.

...and, even with a graph and all the numbers, some mics suit certain voices and sound and some don't.

Ideally, you'd find a place that would let you audition mics and try the out but, barring that, personal recommendations are your best bet.

Your question lacks crucial information. Namely, what will the mic be plugged into, does it provide phantom power? Also, what do you intend to record with this mic, and what do you intend to do with the recordings?-Richie

Guys, thanks for your replies but I didn't ask about prices and where to buy it, used or not... (obviously I don't want an used mic). I'm just asking about models :)

Bobbsy, thanks, I know the best it's to try how it sounds, but I want to buy it online since it's cheaper, so I would like to have a reference based on the specifications or on some brand/models if you guys tell me :)

Richard Monroe, thanks to you too. As I said, I want the mic for vocals. I'm gonna record my sister singing and maybe a guitar but mainly the vocals.
To plug it I have Soundcraft epm6 and Terratec PHASE 26 USB

Thank you all for your help.

Okay based on this new info:

I was in the same spot, wanting a mic to record myself, instruments and mainly my daughter. I read up on many sites about things like comparisons and found a few models that I felt like were good values and ended up deciding on the Blue Spark & the Shure SM58 based on this info. Here is the list of mics I felt were in my range and worth my time:

condenser: Price range $189-299
Rode nt1a
Shure sm27
Blue Spark limited

dynamic: Price range $95ish on both
shure sm58
sennheiser e835

I heard a lot of reviewers say that the Rode nt1a is really good for female vocals. But as stated above, all very subjective to the listener and voice being recorded, etc.
I was also tempted to get the Sennheiser e835 after talking to local folks that love them. I got the SM58 because I've always liked the way my voice sounded thru it live and studio and that it's a standard mic to have around and inexpensive. I'll probably pick up the e835 as well.

Okay based on this new info:

I was in the same spot, wanting a mic to record myself, instruments and mainly my daughter. I read up on many sites about things like comparisons and found a few models that I felt like were good values and ended up deciding on the Blue Spark & the Shure SM58 based on this info. Here is the list of mics I felt were in my range and worth my time:

condenser: Price range $189-299
Rode nt1a
Shure sm27
Blue Spark limited

dynamic: Price range $95ish on both
shure sm58
sennheiser e835

I heard a lot of reviewers say that the Rode nt1a is really good for female vocals. But as stated above, all very subjective to the listener and voice being recorded, etc.
I was also tempted to get the Sennheiser e835 after talking to local folks that love them. I got the SM58 because I've always liked the way my voice sounded thru it live and studio and that it's a standard mic to have around and inexpensive. I'll probably pick up the e835 as well.

Ok, thanks for your kind response. I looked for info about the RODE one and its reviews are good. The other mics you mentioned are good for studio? 'Cause I read for studio vocals it's better a condenser mic.

I also read a lot of good reviews about 4 mics:

Audio Technica AT2020
AKG Perception 120
AKG Perception 220
AKG Perception 420

But since I don't understand about the frequency and all that kind of stuff LOL I can't really compare their specifications and compare those 4 models, and also I can't compare them to the RODE mic you mentioned... All I understood is that people say the NT1 and the AKG 420 have the same specifications and both are good BUT the NT1 doesn't even come close to the AKG 420 quality, which is way much better. Anyone knows if that's true?

Also, does AKG do good products? What's the difference between the 120, 220 and the 420? Is it worth it the difference of price or there is not much more quality between the 120 and the 420?

Thanks again guys ;)

Well right at the top of your list should be the AKG 2000B it has become a standard go to microphone for me when recording female vocals. ;)

Funny you should say that, I'm in the middle of a little research on how to clean membrames.

I've read a couple of opinions now, how do you do it?

I soak them in turpentine!

Actually it's the foam of many hand held dynamics that I was referring to.
But as far as membranes - distilled water and a very, very soft fine brush with very, very gentle strokes.

Well right at the top of your list should be the AKG 2000B it has become a standard go to microphone for me when recording female vocals. ;)

It looks a good mic.
Then, what would be the main differences between

AKG Perception 120
AKG Perception 220
AKG Perception 420
AKG 2000B

The response frequency of the AKG 2000B is 30-20.000 Hz. Is this worse or better than 20-20.000 Hz.?

There is something about the AKG perception line ..... I think they are made in part or whole in China!

20 to 20 is the full range of the human hearing. 30 to 20 isn't bad for a microphone that your going to use for vocals - in fact - you'll be high passing the track anyways ... I would think.

Could anyone please tell me what specifications (and value of them) are the most important when buying a mic? (frequency response, impedance, sensitivity, polar pattern, diaphragm, etc etc)

Last edited:
Back