I need help with my mic and preamp!

Imogene

Hey guys!

I recently just purchased the Studio Porjects B1 mic, as well as the tascam USB-100 preamp (as reccommended by one of the people on this forum for a good quality, cheaper option) and they both just arrived today. I plug in everything to test it all out because I don't have time to record at the moment, and I'm trying to record into audacity, but there's like no sound? Is there something more I need to do then just plug it it all in? I am a total noob and have no idea as to what I'm doing lol, so it'd be appreciated if someone could help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Are you sure you plugged everything in correctly?
I don't believe that Tascam unit supplies phantom power, which is necessary for the mic you purchased. I could be wrong, but I think that is your problem.

Also, this statement:
I don't have time to record at the moment, and I'm trying to record into audacity
doesn't make any sense.

Are you sure you plugged everything in correctly?
I don't believe that Tascam unit supplies phantom power, which is necessary for the mic you purchased. I could be wrong, but I think that is your problem.

Also, this statement:

doesn't make any sense.

Phantom power? What's that? Is there anything I can do about it?

Everything is plugged in properly!!

And sorry, I meant testing it out lol. Just not recording with vocals lol.

Phantom power is +48V that is supplied via one of the leads of an XLR cable to the capsule of a condenser microphone. This info is readily available on this forum and elsewhere. I believe that the interface you purchased was not intended to be used as a mic preamp, but to convert other media (cassette tapes, records, etc.) to digital format. Hence, no phantom power.
You could purchase or build a dedicated unit to supply phantom power to your mic. But that seems like a waste to me.
In my opinion, a better option would be to return the interface you purchased and get a different one that supplies phantom power. Several online retailers have the Tascam US-800 available for $99 right now. I think that model will either be updated or discontinued soon. I have never personally used one, but several other members here do and it is reported to be a good interface. At that price, for what you get, it's a deal too good to pass up.
Read the stickies here in the mic forum and you will be less likely to find yourself in a similar situation in the future.

A condenser mic needs phantom power.

Ussually a mixer or preamp has a phantom power on/off switch. This phantom power is then supplied through your XLR cable.

Your preamp has no phantom power switch, so it will never work.

A condenser mic needs phantom power.

Ussually a mixer or preamp has a phantom power on/off switch. This phantom power is then supplied through your XLR cable.

Your preamp has no phantom power switch, so it will never work.

Afraid so -- you will need the phantom supply unit that your looking for.

You should have taken the red pill -- I know that I wish I had.

Back