I bought a Blue Yeti Sound Stuidio package... did I make a mistake?

MascotGraphics

Hi-
First post, and I know how everyone hates questions that have been asked and answered, but I swear I cannot for the life of me find any answers to this question:

Why won't my Blue Yeti microphone work with Windows 10? Control Panel sees it as a USB microphone, but then when I try to use it... nothing. The troubleshooter won't work, software I've uploaded won't recognize it, this is frustrating. I am using it for voiceover work primarily, not music.

I have an XP SP3 computer and I had installed MusicMaker 15 and it worked immediately with a Logitech mic and with the Blue Yeti. But we all know that XP is not supported. So I bought a Windows 10 version of MusicMaker and plugged my Blue Yeti in and … nothing. I uninstalled MusicMaker, bought a sound studio package from Blue Yeti, plugged in the microphone... nothing.

Every problem I search talks about Windows 7 or 8.1. When I see someone has asked about Windows 10 with a Blue Yeti, all the answers show you how to fix the problem in 7 or 8.1. I have yet to find anyone with a solution for using a Blue Yeti in Windows 10 successfully... even on their own site it doesn't give support for 10. What gives? We are all being lambasted for using an "outdated" OS, so I finally got a Windows 10 PC and I can't get the microphone to work at all.

I have a Logitec speaker system and a I have headphones... I can get both of those working, I just can't get the microphone to work.

Hopefully someone has some answers, I'm starting to regret getting a new PC... it's been more trouble than my XP system!

Thanks!

Does it identify it as the "yeti" or just usb microphone? I presume you downloaded the yeti pro driver? Best guess is that windows identified it as a generic usb mic and loaded the generic driver, not the Blue Yeti one. I think the current driver copes with Windows 8, so it should work, fingers crossed on 10. I doubt that the working in XP means much - XP was pretty good at working with wrong drivers, but success was down to luck, and the wrapping software's ability to cope. Look for the magic word yeti in the driver description your machine is currently using. No 'yeti' suggests it's loaded the wrong driver.

Thanks... I'll look into those. The computer recognized "Yeti" and "USB Microphone, but I'm still getting a similar issues. I did continue to play with it and finally got the microphone to work... it took several attempts and making the same changes to settings about six times (persistence pays off?) I just find it odd that with all the push for everyone to go to Windows 10, that is the one OS that seems to have little to no support for these issues.

Thanks!

Does it identify it as the "yeti" or just usb microphone? I presume you downloaded the yeti pro driver? Best guess is that windows identified it as a generic usb mic and loaded the generic driver, not the Blue Yeti one. I think the current driver copes with Windows 8, so it should work, fingers crossed on 10. I doubt that the working in XP means much - XP was pretty good at working with wrong drivers, but success was down to luck, and the wrapping software's ability to cope. Look for the magic word yeti in the driver description your machine is currently using. No 'yeti' suggests it's loaded the wrong driver.

Yes, it identifies as Yeti and I tried to download the Pro Driver... when setting up it keeps telling me I must plug in the microphone and won't proceed without it plugged in. But it is plugged in, and the light is on.. apparently, no one's home. Really starting to hate Windows 10 already... lol

Just a guess here, but try installing the pro driver with the mic not connected to computer. Then plug it in.

Many an interface require it to not be connected while installing the driver until asked during setup.

I am not familiar with W10 for such reasons, but I would suggest deleting the Pro driver first. Unplug your Yeti, then start the install again.

It kind of sounds like the W10 default driver is holding your mic hostage. I would add a lol, but it not funny...

If you have the 'regular' basic Yeti, the Pro driver likely is not compatible with it. It seems the Pro driver is intended and required to be used with the Pro Yeti which has different features and specs than the basic Yeti. The basic Yeti from the Blue site specs doesn't require any drivers.

Try downloading and installing Audacity which is free. It's about as simple as it gets and should work with the Yeti through the Win 10 sound system. If it doesn't you'll need to look at the sound settings in Win 10. It should show up in Audacity like the image below when you select it as the microphone.

Couple of Win10 Yeti vids.....
YouTube
YouTube

Attachments

• maxresdefault.jpg
    maxresdefault.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8
Thanks for all the help, I somehow got it figured out. I also downloaded Audacity, thank you Arcaxis… that program does exactly what I need.

Back