On humidity...

Le Basseur

Please forget my lack of memory :rolleyes: ,but I read somewhere about measures to be taken when depositing condenser mics in humid locations.There was mentioned silicagel (crystals),to be put near the mic for absorbing the humidity.
My questions are:
1.Is there a method for "refreshing" those crystals when they're "full"?
Do I have to throw them away,or there's a certain treatment to be applied?Thermal,maybe?(in an oven or microwave?)
2.How can a worn-out silicagel crystal be identified?It changes the colour,the consistence or what?
Thank you,

I usually toss them in the oven on a tray at low temps, like 250F, for a couple hours.
The crystals turn blue when moist. I can't see mine, as they are in paper packs. I just do it every couple of months.

Depends on the brand and type - some are blue when dry, and pink when saturated with moisture - some are more or less always clear.
Baking at low temp usually works best, unless the beads are in flimsy plastic. Microwave works well otherwise, or in a pinch.

Le Basseur said:
Please forget my lack of memory :rolleyes: ,but I read somewhere about measures to be taken when depositing condenser mics in humid locations.There was mentioned silicagel (crystals),to be put near the mic for absorbing the humidity.
My questions are:
1.Is there a method for "refreshing" those crystals when they're "full"?
Do I have to throw them away,or there's a certain treatment to be applied?Thermal,maybe?(in an oven or microwave?)
2.How can a worn-out silicagel crystal be identified?It changes the colour,the consistence or what?
Thank you,

I got a couple of these - protect 3 cubic feet, reactivatable in oven, tough construction, nice little indicator window. Should do me for life.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=531&item=3953324758&rd=1

There's a good company that makes packets of different sizes just for electrical equipment. Someone here turned me onto this good yet inexpensive stuff that compensates for too much--or too little--mositure, and you never need to replace the pacs. I think the company's called Zorb-It--a search online should find it soon enough.

J.

Back