How to plug in 4 mics with Separate channels into PC

AudioMan72

Hi everyone,

I'm making videos that involve 4 guys talking about things like screenwriting, movie reviews, etc -at a table. The goal is to record 4 different people- with their own lavalier microphones on their own separate channels- strait into the PC with audio software that allows me to control the volume levels of each microphone. Not everyone projects their voice in the same level tone so I need to be able to control the volume levels of each microphone. I already have two good Lavalier microphones with 3.5 MM TRRS plugs that came with a Y connector so that two of these microphones can be plugged into the same port (which then connects to a TRS converter for the PC). Although I don't think the Y connector will help me in this scenario.

Is there a way to connect all four Lavalier microphones into the PC – each on their own channel- with software to control the volume levels of each microphone? I want to be able to throw this audio file into a video editor when the audio recording is finished.

Thanks,

Most likely you'll need to upgrade to proper mics with XLR outputs, and connect them to a four channel USB audio interface.

When you say "four channel USB audio interface" do you mean something like a USB audio mixer such as this one? This is all new territory for me when it comes to mixers.

61a0Gz+YhNL._SL1200_.jpg
Thanks,

Attachments

• 61a0Gz+YhNL._SL1200_.jpg
    61a0Gz+YhNL._SL1200_.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 8
First off, can anyone help me/tell me WTF is going on ref the attached?

The OP: Yes, he really needs some XLR mics* and at least a four mic input interface.
Yes, most of those mixers only produce a stereo track and many are crap sound with it. There is (was?) the Alesis Multimix that was multi-track but I seem to remember peeps had all sorts of driver issues with them?

Better than the Behringer I bet would be one of the various Zoom devices? R8? R16? Could be found cheap on the Bay?

*I am sure the existing lav' mics could be adapted/rewired to XLR? This is the "lost generations" effect? "We" back in the day, had to LEARN about wires and soldering and getting things working for little or no money.

BTW, there is a review of the latest Zoom 8track portable recorder in the current issue of SoS. ALL the OP could dream of in terms of a recording machine! Even has an "AI" auto-mix facility that is said to be excellent. Thick end of $800 tho'but.

Dave.

Attachments

• MF COCKUP.png
    MF COCKUP.png
    72.7 KB · Views: 15
First off, can anyone help me/tell me WTF is going on ref the attached?

You must be in the European Union, Dave.

This is the result of GDPR - new data protection rules with which websites serving the EU must comply or face huge fines.

Basically, the websites have to guarantee not to keep data on you to use in ways they don't tell you about. If they try that, they also face huge fines.

Most sites across the world saw this as easy to comply with and did the necessary work. Lazy or incompetent or paranoid (mainly USA) websites chose not to and therefore stoped serving EU IP addressed computers.

You must be in the European Union, Dave.

This is the result of GDPR - new data protection rules with which websites serving the EU must comply or face huge fines.

Basically, the websites have to guarantee not to keep data on you to use in ways they don't tell you about. If they try that, they also face huge fines.

Most sites across the world saw this as easy to comply with and did the necessary work. Lazy or incompetent or paranoid (mainly USA) websites chose not to and therefore stoped serving EU IP addressed computers.

Oh! Ok, I am obliged. Hardly ever went there anyway so stuff'em!

Dave.

The way most well equipped video shoots for something like this would be done would be with 4 wireless lavs and overhead shotgun on a boom (or more, possibly moving with the conversation!) connected to a field recorder like the Zoom F4/F8 or higher end pieces. Everything would get sync'd in post, ideally using camera(s) that could be jammed with the timecode from the field recorder.

Since it's a video shoot, I wouldn't want mics on stands so either wireless lavs or perhaps those concert mics that are smallish but still in the face. There are low-end-ish wireless rigs of those things that might work, but the lavs will be less visible. I think I'd still want wireless but that runs into money pretty quickly because you either have to buy the 4x+ set together or $$ individual units that are frequency switchable with matching receiver(s) to insure they can all work independently.

Of course, if the speakers can be heard at some distance, regular mics could be used, but there will be a lot of bleed, so really unbalanced volume speakers will make mixing a little harder.

You could get something like the Steinberg UR44 interface with 4 mic inputs with each their own gain control. it can record up to 6ch (2 line inputs on the back) simulataniously independent to the computer to record multichannel. But this depends on the software you use to record the audio. No problem with Cubase (you'll get a Steinberg Cubase LE version with the interface for free). Those Steinberg interfaces do a very good job.

Back