How to get that 'radio' voice?

Sheza

Hi there,

I've researched a few studio microphones and heard some test videos on YouTube but so far despite finding microphones infinitely better than my webcam and previously owned headset, I have yet to discover a microphone that gives you that radio voice. Outside of radio I know this exists - I've seen a small podcast group with the right voice, but they haven't been able to tell me their set-up. It'll probably be expensive, but I'm curious. Here's a few sources to show what I mean.

EDIT: The forum rules prohibit me from posting links so I'm going to have to ask you to input these video titles into YouTube search..

PSY at the Capital FM Summertime Ball (On-Air Radio Interview)
Britney Spears Reveals The Title Of Her New Album - Capital Radio Interview (1 min 40 seconds in for a good example)

Do you see what I mean? Its really crisp and clean, and works best with male voices. So.... how does a consumer go about matching that?

These guys have had some success at matching it... but can't tell me their setup.
Search: Regular Features on soundcloud.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Sheza.
First you need the voice of god and an electro voice re20 mic a treated room and bags of talent.
:)

Welcome Sheza.
First you need the voice of god and an electro voice re20 mic a treated room and bags of talent.
:)
Aha! Indeed, if I compare a standard person's Blue Yeti review with this guy's Blue yeti review it does sound better... so it is partly to do with the voice. Thank you for the welcome!

Electro-Voice RE-20 or Shure SM7B might be a couple of mics to take a look at.

Browse through some of the videos in the link below and see if they come close to what you're looking for. He demos a variety of mics and explains some of the gear used.....
That's a really good link, thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking at. The Electro-Voice is definitely closer to it than the Shure SM7B. The Sennheiser MD 421 also sounds great on him.

The Heil PR-40 also looks to be a good microphone for it too. I'm glad I know this sort of stuff is possible :)

Aha! Indeed, if I compare a standard person's Blue Yeti review with this guy's Blue yeti review it does sound better... so it is partly to do with the voice. Thank you for the welcome!

That's a really good link, thank you. That's exactly what I'm looking at. The Electro-Voice is definitely closer to it than the Shure SM7B. The Sennheiser MD 421 also sounds great on him.

The Heil PR-40 also looks to be a good microphone for it too. I'm glad I know this sort of stuff is possible :)

I think the environment may play a much bigger part than mic choice.
As Bobbsy frequently points out, UK radio is awash with condensers, and US radio often use dynamics.
I'm not saying there's no difference between the two, but the guts of the familiar sound that you're chasing is probably the sound of a dead room.

*edit, from google image Capital seem to favour beyerdynamic condensers.

Note that most radio has some pretty heavy handed compression, often multiband, and limiting on every thing.

At the risk of giving away one of my special secrets, there is a device used in radio called a "phase rotator" which is really just an all-pass filter. Set correctly, it applies a different phase delay at every frequency. This helps to redistribute the energy in an assymetrical waveform (like many male voices) and can really help get that fullness that I'd imagine you're looking for. I have used on my own and other lower male voices to great effect. It's subtle and hard to define, but noticeable and usually for the better.

Can't say exactly where you can find an all-pass. Reaper's ReaEQ has an all-pass mode which is what I've been using lately.

This has been a really interesting read, thank you all for your replies. I actually did a short stint of experience at a community radio station a few years ago, though it was online-only besides special events. I noted that we didn't really get the radio voice effect, in fact sometimes voices sounded sort of passive, almost as if the microphone was just listening to a room with a person speaking in it rather than capturing voice directly.

At that time we were in a single room with a cheap partition (booth/office) and some simple attempt at padding on the walls. Also bearing in mind that the equipment was almost entirely donated to us, I obviously didn't expect much.

These days I'm not looking to get into broadcasting, but I do like to try out recordings of my voice and do commentary and such, and wondered if there was a better way of doing this than to go with the common choice of a USB Blue Snowball. I mean right now I'm using a webcam microphone (Don't shoot me - I replaced my headset for a better pair of.....headphones, d'oh!) so anything would be better. I don't have the ability to dampen my room, silence my PC fans etc especially as I'm going to University next year. It also doesn't help that my keyboard is mechanical and so sounds like a damn typewriter. What can I say?!

Anyway thanks for your responses, you've all been really helpful.

Studio recordings as well as I MC many large venues (indoor and outdoor) I use what people call *My radio voice.
You kinda shift gears and drop to your lowest register that is comfortable for you to speak in THEN ... I use a Shure SM58 or similar dynamic microphone and eat that microphone. That is your lips have to be pressed right up to the ball while speaking to further the GIRTH of your voice by take full advantage of the proximity effect of the dynamic microphone.

For me it's kinds like acting ... you fall into character and play the part. Practice will make perfect. ;)

I did syndicated business news on dozens of stations in the '90s and developed a 'radio voice'.

A good EV RE20 or SM7b helps but what you REALLY need is to sit down and read, read, read EVERY DAY like a radio guy.

There are no 'magic setups'. You talk until experience and practice opens your throat and diaphram up.

I did syndicated business news on dozens of stations in the '90s and developed a 'radio voice'.

A good EV RE20 or SM7b helps but what you REALLY need is to sit down and read, read, read EVERY DAY like a radio guy.

There are no 'magic setups'. You talk until experience and practice opens your throat and diaphram up.

And Capstan Full Strength?

Dave.

Since both those clips were from Capital Radio in London...

First, be born with a good voice.

Second, learn to speak (naturally) from your chest, not your mouth/throat.

Third, work in a very dead studio, one where more has been spent on the acoustic design than most people spend on a luxury car.

Fourth, pass everything through a pretty drastic compressor.

As Steenamaroo pointed out, Capital uses almost exclusively condenser mics. In their old studios on Euston Road, these were mainly Neumann mics but, as pointed out, it looks to me like they may have swapped to Beyer since their move to Leicester Square.

Now...a cheat I've seen used more than once (but not on these videos). More than one announcer going for the deep, resonant sound (think "Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water") use a short shotgun mic like a Sennheiser 416 but work up really close so the proximity effect is major. Add a dollop of "chest voice" and compression and it can sound cool.

I'm only half joking here, but the old radio guys I knew got their "voice" from years of experience and generous use of bourbon and unfiltered cigarettes.

I'm only half joking here, but the old radio guys I knew got their "voice" from years of experience and generous use of bourbon and unfiltered cigarettes.

...and I can vouch for this. I once recorded a guy who couldn't start until he'd had a couple of cigarettes and a shot of whisky--his voice changed totally. (Made life difficult in no-smoking-in-a-working-envrionment England though.)

When a radio announcer phones into another show or is a guest on another show you can see the BIG difference in their voice - their *Studio voice* was left back at home, or at least the room, microphone, compressor etc. that has become his trade mark radio voice is back in his studio.

If you meet an announcer in person it's hard to believe that they are the same person.

One of the reasons I rarely listen to Classic FM is the dark brown voices. Even the gals have chest hair and being reg' mutton I can't understand a bloody word!

The other put off is that they will not give you a nanosecond at the end of a piece before they crash in with some banality or other! NEVER heard of reverb tails..eh! EH!

Dave.

This has been a really interesting read, thank you all for your replies. I actually did a short stint of experience at a community radio station a few years ago, though it was online-only besides special events. I noted that we didn't really get the radio voice effect, in fact sometimes voices sounded sort of passive, almost as if the microphone was just listening to a room with a person speaking in it rather than capturing voice directly.

At that time we were in a single room with a cheap partition (booth/office) and some simple attempt at padding on the walls. Also bearing in mind that the equipment was almost entirely donated to us, I obviously didn't expect much.

These days I'm not looking to get into broadcasting, but I do like to try out recordings of my voice and do commentary and such, and wondered if there was a better way of doing this than to go with the common choice of a USB Blue Snowball. I mean right now I'm using a webcam microphone (Don't shoot me - I replaced my headset for a better pair of.....headphones, d'oh!) so anything would be better. I don't have the ability to dampen my room, silence my PC fans etc especially as I'm going to University next year. It also doesn't help that my keyboard is mechanical and so sounds like a damn typewriter. What can I say?!

Anyway thanks for your responses, you've all been really helpful.

As someone who has worked in UK and international radio for over 25 years I fell I can throw some light on what you are after. I see you mention Capital (I assume Capital London and not the relays they have throughout the UK) Firstly when you say "radio voice" are you listening off-air or out or the studio? The reason I ask is that prior to a [presenters voice coming out of the receiver (AM/FM/DAB/Stream/DTT/DSAT) it would have gone through a multitude of "processing" this is not strain broadband compression but a mixture of multi-band compressors (some tailored to work on voice frequencies only) and maybe even a bit of reverb too.
The final processing will most likely be tailored to the platform it is on (this is how the major stations do it - rather than a final processor then splitting the signal to the different platforms, each stream is processed to take account of that platforms technical parameters and the most likely receiver the listener will use to hear the station. So, for instance, AM processing will be much different to DAB) If you have listened to a recording out of the studio i.e. pre final processing it will still, most likely have been through a mic processor in the studio.

So to start. The microphone. The EV RE20 has been mentioned and whilst being a very good mic is rarely used outside US continental radio - I only knew of one station in the UK (now closed) that used RE20s and never saw them in use in other European stations where I have worked. Many of the major UK stations use a mixture of Neumann U87 (BBC Radio 1, Radio 2) Capital London used to use 87s (they used U47s in the 90s - a lovely mic) but may still use the one or other of the main presenter mics in UK radio these being the AT4033 and the TLM105. BBC Radio 3, 4, 5Live and 6Music mainly used 105 (R5Live use a few U87s). In BBC local they used to go for the Beyer M201 but now use the 105. On stations with tighter budgets I have seen the 4033 and AT2020 used as well as Behringer B1s and Rode NT1s. Classic FM used Beyer M740s when I worked there but may now use 105s.

The mics are usually processed within the studio. Some stations group the mics and stick it through 1 processor others (more commonly) have a processor per mic. BBC Radio 1 used to (may still have) give the DJ a choice of two processors and let them choose. Most processors are really like a mic channel in a box except they usually have line in/line out levels (plugged via the desk insert point) or AES in/out. With digital desks sometimes these processors are still discrete devices but other times are part of the channel DSP. The processors will compress/expand/limit the signal and add a bit of eq.
The main thing they do is save the presenters settings either on a card or via a desk login so they always have the same setup for every show. Products by Orban, TC Electronic, Yellowtec and recently Junger are most common. If you present on BBC Radio 3 (Classical) and Radio 4 (speech) you will probably have your mic set up for you and the levels ridden by the studio operator!

The processor that handles the station output is usually a digital device (although some analogue devices (esp on AM) are still used. There 4,6 or 8 compressor band devices that split the signal into frequency bands and compress each separately then mix it all back together taking account of phase/timing errors when doing so. Depending upon the platform some will also handle the first stage of the transmitter/RDS and DLS for DAB. The basic idea of the processor is to compress the signal to death (2-4dB dynamic range) which is what many of the pop/top40/AOR stations aim to do in the misguided belief that if your station sounds louder than you competitor then listeners will tune to you. (Utter crap BTW).
In fact the most listened to station in the UK (BBc Radio 2) does not compress it signal much at all and there seems to be a move towards getting away from this "loudness war".
Speech based and classical music stations tend to go easy on the compression preferring "gain riding" but still recognise a listener will not be receiving their signal in a perfect environment on iffy quality equipment.

If you’re on AM then you aim to make yourself heard above all the background crap that broadcasting on medium wave brings!

Hope this helps.

Iain - linkedin.com/ibetson

Use a small diaphragm mic with screen, compress and limit the gain to one consistant level. Good Luck,
Rod Norman

Hi there,

I've researched a few studio microphones and heard some test videos on YouTube but so far despite finding microphones infinitely better than my webcam and previously owned headset, I have yet to discover a microphone that gives you that radio voice. Outside of radio I know this exists - I've seen a small podcast group with the right voice, but they haven't been able to tell me their set-up. It'll probably be expensive, but I'm curious. Here's a few sources to show what I mean.

EDIT: The forum rules prohibit me from posting links so I'm going to have to ask you to input these video titles into YouTube search..

PSY at the Capital FM Summertime Ball (On-Air Radio Interview)
Britney Spears Reveals The Title Of Her New Album - Capital Radio Interview (1 min 40 seconds in for a good example)

Do you see what I mean? Its really crisp and clean, and works best with male voices. So.... how does a consumer go about matching that?

These guys have had some success at matching it... but can't tell me their setup.
Search: Regular Features on soundcloud.

Thanks in advance!

Use a small diaphragm mic with screen, compress and limit the gain to one consistant level. Good Luck,
Rod Norman

Of course the videos the OP liked show a London radio station using LDCs with just a foam wind gag and no pop screens!

It just goes to show there's not any one single recipe for success.

Back