How to connect an old microphone to the interface DIN>XLR

AcidDrinker

Hello, I plan to buy a Sennheiser MD421 microphone that has a din input.

How to connect a microphone with Steinberg Ur44 interface which has xlr input?

Regards Krystian

There have been a few unusual variants, but the usual way they were wired is
DIN - pin 1 to XLR pin 2 (hot)
DIN pin 2 to XLR pin 1 (ground)
DIN pin 3 to XLR pin 3 (cold)

If you intend to make up the cable yourself I do not recommend trying to use 'naked' DIN plugs and cables. Unless you are a seasoned solderer you will go nuts!

Buy a DIN-DIN cable and chop it in half then fit the XLRs to the cut ends. DIN cable tends to be quite thin and may not be very secure in an XLR cable clamp so build it out with some heat shrink sleeving.

Good luck!

Dave.

Thanks for the answers. The din plug is more available, can you please explain to me how to solder the xlr cable to the din3 plug/connectror.

Thanks for the answers. The din plug is more available, can you please explain to me how to solder the xlr cable to the din3 plug/connectror.

First off, do you have a solder iron with a fine bit? Then you really need a continuity meter, a 20 quid 'Halfords' digital meter will do. You will find plenty of 'how toos' re soldring XLRs on YT.

BTW. I have not handled that mic I am assuming the DIN on it is female? If Male, as XLRs on mics are, finding a 'line socket' DIN cable could be tricky.

Dave

Don’t forget that xlr cable is often too thick to fit a din plug housing while din cables fit xlr connectors easily. Hence the good advice to chop a din to din.

Back