How bad is Studio Projects quality control

DJL

Self Banned
I think the Studio Projects microphones have such poor quality control SP had to put colored dots on their microphone boxes because the mics are just cheap Chinese made mics so they couldn't fix the quality control problems so they just added colored dots instead.

I've never had a problems with the QC at Studio Projects. The build quality is good but not the best for its market segment. For manufacturers who make mics in that Studio Projects price range, I'd give the nod to Audio-Technica and Shure as far as build quality, consistency, fit and finish.

I'm sure you know the dot system is for setting up matched pairs.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

ozraves said:
I've never had a problems with the QC at Studio Projects. The build quality is good but not the best for its market segment. For manufacturers who make mics in that Studio Projects price range, I'd give the nod to Audio-Technica and Shure as far as build quality, consistency, fit and finish.

I'm sure you know the dot system is for setting up matched pairs.

Steve
www.mojopie.com

wow. someone finally sees the point I was making in another thread. I am impressed.

If Studio Projects quality control was good their mics would be consistent and there would be no need for colored dots.

That's kind of a silly statement, DJL. :D

Granted, the dot system is a little silly, too.

But the idea of not having all of their mics technically "matched" being a sign of bad quality control is just flat-out wrong. Some very high-end mics out there need to be matched, and it has nothing to do with their quality control (or lack thereof). Granted, some of it may be marketing gimic, but there is somewhat of a science to it, and it is of value to a lot of people out there.

This is what PMI is calling a "Matched Pair" of Studio Projects microphones.

-33~-34dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a red dot on the packaging
-35~-36dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a green dot on the packaging
-36~-37dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a black dot on the packaging

Whereas the Sound Room for example...
"Matched pairs are selected from the test areas of different manufacturing labs and tested in the anechoic chamber (and ancillary facilities) at a famous Moscow-based Microphone Lab. As with all of our microphones, they are chosen for assembly and finish and then tested to meet specific acoustic and electronic modeling. Mics in matched assemblies are tested individually and then as pairs. Once matching is complete, they are boxed - along with proof of frequency response analysis. From there, the mics are sent to our "sister" studio in Moscow, where they are tested and checked again in various acoustic source tests and further documentation is attached.

The mics that pass all these tests are shipped to the SOUND ROOM, where they are checked again in our studios and readied for shipment. This may include changing packing/shipping materiel, fitting to cedar boxes (from the Ozark Mountains), final cosmetic checks and repackaging of the assorted documentation and new (US made) accessories."

I think the Studio Projects microphones have such poor quality control PMI had to put colored dots on their microphone boxes because the microphones are just cheap Chinese made mics so they couldn't fix the quality control problems so they just added colored dots instead, and called them matched.

Last edited:
The great debate continues...

As I understand it, matching has very little to do with QC, and more to do with getting mics that have very similar specs that will have the same response when used as a pair.

Then again, what do I know? I just do this for fun. Your bias may vary.

ozraves said:
...For manufacturers who make mics in that Studio Projects price range, I'd give the nod to Audio-Technica and Shure as far as build quality, consistency, fit and finish...Steve
www.mojopie.com
I might too, if they were in the same price range. But they’re not: Which Shure or AT large diaphragm condenser mic sells for $79? Same for a Shure or AT multi-pattern LDC mic that sell for $159? What about a tube LDC mic, etc., etc..

I think of Studio Projects as less expensive and Shure/AT as more expensive. Sort of the oranges and apples thing, if you will. Of course, this will all change with the “E” series...

As far as quality control goes, it’s by far the best I’ve seen from ANY manufacturer at this price point. I mean, look at Marshall and Oktava. Do you think the $80 MXL mics are going to be matched? They’re much worse IMHO because they don’t even bother to tell you about it, much less take time to match them up.

I think the dots just indicate matched output levels. Do they use this system on all their mics or just the B series?

I would expect that level of attention to detail from the Sound Room. If they didn't pay that much attention to matching, we'd all just by our mics at the "Pick Your Stringed Instrument Name of Choice" Center and be done with it. The only matched mics SP sells are the C4's. They are advertised that way and only sold in pairs. The dot system is strictly to help in buying 2 mics that will be similar.

I think that the SP mics have one thing that all the other mics don't. Alan Hyatt. Sure the SP mics have lemons like all of them. But, it seems to me that Alan makes good on every problem out there. He seems to be the first one to help when there are problems. You will not get that from Oktava or Marshall. So, I suspect that you are in good hands with Studio Projects because they stand behind their products like no one else.

I don't own any of the SP mics, but I have read enough posts about this and see that SP does care if you get a lemon and will fix the problem without the BS.

The colored dots were added to the box because of inconsistent output levels.

Last edited:
DJL said:
This is what PMI is calling a "Matched Pair" of Studio Projects microphones.

-33~-34dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a red dot on the packaging
-35~-36dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a green dot on the packaging
-36~-37dB +/-.5dB, is marked by a black dot on the packaging

Whereas the Sound Room for example...
"Matched pairs are selected from the test areas of different manufacturing labs and tested in the anechoic chamber (and ancillary facilities) at a famous Moscow-based Microphone Lab. As with all of our microphones, they are chosen for assembly and finish and then tested to meet specific acoustic and electronic modeling. Mics in matched assemblies are tested individually and then as pairs. Once matching is complete, they are boxed - along with proof of frequency response analysis. From there, the mics are sent to our "sister" studio in Moscow, where they are tested and checked again in various acoustic source tests and further documentation is attached.

The mics that pass all these tests are shipped to the SOUND ROOM, where they are checked again in our studios and readied for shipment. This may include changing packing/shipping materiel, fitting to cedar boxes (from the Ozark Mountains), final cosmetic checks and repackaging of the assorted documentation and new (US made) accessories."

I think the Studio Projects microphones have such poor quality control PMI had to put colored dots on their microphone boxes because the microphones are just cheap Chinese made mics so they couldn't fix the quality control problems so they just added colored dots instead, and called them matched.
So, Studio Projects matches theirs for free and you’re fussin’ because they don’t put them in a cedar box from the Ozarks (Yeah, right... the cedars probably grew along a fence row from bird-poop like the ones behind my house... :rolleyes: ) and charge us out the yen yang for them??!!

I don’t mean to sound like I’m bashing you DJL, but I fail miserably to see your point. Honestly, it looks like you dredged this up to bash Studio Projects. Just MHO, of course.
:p

Flatpicker said:
Honestly, it looks like you dredged this up to bash Studio Projects. Just MHO, of course.
:p

Seems that way, really.

Even Neumann has to go out of thier way to get em matched right. Capsule technology is not simple and nowhere near perfected.

DJL is working on his nomination for the "2003 Head Up The Ass Award"..............

You're entiltled to believe anything you want about SP. I think we all know that you're not their biggest fan. Let me see if I understand the flow of your argument:

SP mice have differences in their frequncy responses. Mic's with similar responses are color coded with a dot to indicate similarity. This equates to poor QC.

Anybody else lost here?

Gidge said:
DJL is working on his nomination for the "2003 Head Up The Ass Award"..............
LOL!
Naw. He just had some spare time and wanted to run his post count up...kind of like what I'm doing right now...:D

DJ.

Have you ever worked for PMI Audio, Studio Projects or any company affiliated to PMI Audio or Studio Projects?

Back