home recording for acoustic

boogdoollus

Hey, I'm new and I was wondering if anyone has any advice for the best home recording equipment for acoustic instrument and vocals.
Thanks for any advice.

Best? Well you're asking a lot more than i think you realise.

Emm, here's my standard reply:
1. Where are you(UK, US)?
2. What's your budget?
3. Do you have a decent PC?
4. How many channels do you need(drums can be recorded well with just 4)?
5. What are you looking for(interface and monitors)?
6. Do you have much/any experience?
7. Do you have any equipment now(esp recording equipment, mixers etc)?
8. What is your room(s) like(post a room plan)
9. Do you need isolation?

Any more info would be great...

Answer the above questions and we will be able to help you better.

I record mostly acoustic instruments and my own vocals with what I consider good sounding results, and I use the following:

Instrument: Taylor 312c acoustic

Mics: Shure SM81 on the body and a Rode K2 (w/ swapped tube) on the neck (or reverse depending on my taste that day), K2 on vocals as well
Preamp: M-Audio DMP-3
Interface: Presonus Firepod
Computer: powerBook G4 1.5Ghz, 1GB RAM, 80GB HD (internal), 400GB firewire HD
Software: Cubase LE (came with the Firepod for both PC and Mac)
Monitors: KRK RP-5's & Sony studio headphones (forget the model number)

This is just my setup as I have come to get it together. Started on cheaper gear, and the problem with recording always seemed to be noisy mics and a poor-sounding acoustic.

This is not a cheap undertaking, unfortunately, but do research here on the board - you can get away with spending less than all that I listed above.

I suggest you determine whats most important in your recordings, your vocal or guitar. Pick the mic that will flatter the most important part of your recording first. If it is your vocal, great, but it may not be the best on guitar, and visa versa.

I recently upgraded my pre-amp and did some A/B testing of acoustic guitar with a couple of mic's I had laying around. Each pre-amp has a flavor, each mic has a flavor, and we just have to test them out to see how they sound. I want my acoustic guitar to sound good first, then worry about everything else later. With my old pre-amp, I got great results with a SM7 with an agressive strum pattern fitting in the groove. However, with my new pre, it was not what I needed. I tried several mics, some fairly high end and some low end, but I was surprised how good the Audix ADX 51 sounded. However, for acoustic lead licks, the Audix did not do anything for me. I used an LCD to give some "meat".

I am afraid you are going to have to do like the rest of us. Pick a mic and hope it works for you, and wonder if there is something better for your situation. So, if you can, buy used, sell what does not work, and keep trying.

Good luck!!

Charlie

Last edited:
Audio Technica has an affordable mic package which would do well, here is the link:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...41SP-AT2020-AT2021-Microphone-Pack?sku=270455

my buddy purchased it as a bundle with the PreSonus BlueTube preamp and i was impressed. so i went out and got the same thing. the large diaphram is good for vocals, i have used it with the phantom power on my mixer and with a couple other pre's and have had good results with vocals, crisp and clear. the small condensor is very good for acoustic guitars, we even use it when jamming and mic the acoustics and then run the mic to a pre and then an acoustic amp with good results.

if you dont want to spend a lot on the mics, this is a good package and you will not be dissapointed with their results, i wasnt.

my buddy has a bluebird condensor and the audio-technica large diaphram is not too far behind in sound quality, so its something to consider.

thats my thoughts anyway.

oh yeah i almost forgot,

for an interface look into the alesis multimix 8 usb, its 150 bucks and does its job well. there is no multitrack recording, but the sound quality is good. for the home novice its not a bad mixer/interface to consider. you do not need to drop a grand into recording hardware to get decent sounding results. i have listened to people stuff who have digi designs/pro tools set-ups and they dont sound any better than the stuff i once did with my old usb mixer. you just need to know somewhat what you are looking for and experiment. i am by no means a pro at all, in fact i suck, but i know that i can can produce good sounding recording with what i have.

dmp3, omnis. AT4054

Hi,

Since you are posting on the bbs I will assume you already have a computer.

Get an M-Audio DMP2 or DMP3 preamp. The DMP3s are more readily available. About $100 used, $160 new.

Build a cable that takes 2 1/4" phone plugs and wires them to a 1/8" mini stereo plug. Then the outputs from the preamp will plug into your computer, iRiver, or other hard drive recorder. HDogg is a good freeware hard drive recorder for Windows systems.

Naiant sells a matched pair of small diaphragm omni condensors for about $50. These excel at recording acoustic instruments.

The Audio Technica AT4054 can be found used for $100-$150. This is a fantastic mic for vocals and acoustic instruments.

And it would also be a good idea to get a pair of dynamic omnis. Realistic 1070b, c, or d are about $50 a pair used. The Ev 635a or RE50 omnis are about twice that. And the super deluxe RE55 can be over $150 used.

All of these mics are considered inexpensive but you will always find a use for them no matter how large your mic collection eventually becomes.

Thanks,

Hairy Larry

Last edited:
Ditto what hairy said.

If your guitar sounds good, and you can sing well, all that stuff will be enough to get great results.

Investing money in room treatment also would probably help (maybe make a vocal booth or booth for recording acoustic).

+1 on the AT4054. It has essentially the same capsule as the AT4050 LD condensor, but in a handheld package. The current model is the AE5400 which has a roll off switch. My recollection is that the AT4054 has a built in LF roll off. The companion AT4055 has no roll off. Here's a review:

http://mixguides.com/microphones/reviews/audio_audiotechnica_may/

A great mic for cheap -- I've picked up 3 of them on E-Bay over the years. A used AT4050 will set you back @$325 or so -- so the AT4054 is a comparative bargain.

As others have said, buy used if you can. You 'll get much more for your $$ and you can always resell what doesn't work (or be like me and keep everything but without guilt). Oh, and I'd be a bit careful with the DMP-2 -- my recollection is that it was slightly underpowered for phantom power which would be a problem for some (but probably not most) mics needing phantom power. The DMP-3 would be a fine choice for a low cost pre.

oh yeah i almost forgot,

for an interface look into the alesis multimix 8 usb, its 150 bucks and does its job well. there is no multitrack recording, but the sound quality is good. for the home novice its not a bad mixer/interface to consider. you do not need to drop a grand into recording hardware to get decent sounding results. i have listened to people stuff who have digi designs/pro tools set-ups and they dont sound any better than the stuff i once did with my old usb mixer. you just need to know somewhat what you are looking for and experiment. i am by no means a pro at all, in fact i suck, but i know that i can can produce good sounding recording with what i have.
I'd suggest stayin away from USB if you want the option to upgrade. If you get the firewire, that gives you upto 8 channels, with an option to link another firewire interface if you need more than 8.

Back